[Apple TV 2] problem installing latest trunk
Greetings all,

After a suggestion from davilla to update gas-preprocessor.pl, i've been able to successfully compile for atv2 from trunk again. *cheer* However, upon installing the package (dpkg -i ...), the AppleTV2 reboots and continues to reboot. The installation appears to "soft brick" the appleTV2. Here's a paste of the terminal.. http://pastebin.com/7c0wL5KL

Some additional information...

ATV2 is running IOS 4.4.4 (9A406a) [w/ blob]
ATV2 is known to have successfully installed and run locally compiled versions of xbmc from trunk.
Local build machine (10.6.8, Xcode 3.2.6, x64) is compiling from 2fdc4dfac3db8a651cc27bdb2b07b8397687b77d
As the paste shows, xbmc was previously installed (and running) on the ATV2.
apt-get has been run, and software fully updated.
updatebegone has been installed.
While viewing a 'top' during the installation process, the issue does not appear to be related to memory constraints.

Here's a description of the ATV2 startup sequence witnessed..
  • [~10 seconds] slow blinks (normal i believe)
  • [~2 seconds] solid white (again, i believe normal)
  • [~4 seconds] back to the steady (slow) blinking ((normal..))
  • [0.5 seconds] led flickers irratically and the ATV2 restarts

While trying to troubleshoot this, it was seen that the access to a shell (via ssh) is able to be obtained for a brief period of time before the unit resets. This period of time is during the ~4 seconds after the solid while light appears.

Doing a "legitimate" restore of the ATV2 to whatever iTunes is handing out nowadays, and THEN reinstalling 4.4.4 produces the same results.

After looking back at changes to mkdeb-xbmc-atv2.sh, I suspected the new 12.0-alpha1 labeling wasn't playing well w/ something in apt.. so i've attempted reverting this change, and recompiling. This produced the same results, and is not the issue.

Needless to say, this issue is a bit of a pain to troubleshoot as it requires the unit to be restored via iTunes after each attempt. I've looked around the forums, however org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.0-0~alpha1 doesn't produce anything and neither does google.

Has anyone come across this issue?
Do not run mainline iOS on any iOS device that is running iOS5, you will kernel panic on load of xbmc. known issue with the ffmpeg bump.
OK. Thanks!
If you noticed, nightlies are running again but while iOS builds, the upload is disabled... That's why.
Ha - finally it really happend.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I guess I have to enter arm asm-fu state and fix this. I think we only have seven places to fixup.
Thanks @whitecom for the effort put into your original post. I too have been "soft bricking" my ATV2s with home baked builds and was unsure of the reason, happy to see its not just me!
=) @davilla.. When you say mainline iOS, are you saying the master branch?
mainline == xbmc's master git branch
@davilla/@Memphiz, is this what Arm asm-fu looks like?:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/d9b5...4e0cdc7126

If so, still no upload from Billy?
no, these are not the commits you seek, move along Smile
Help us Davilla-San Kenobi, your asm-fu is our only hope... Smile
we need a sith lord for that - nobody knows who davilla really is - the chanceler or the lord hahaha
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Are the problems with this situation solved? Can I build again and install the package onto my ATV2 with 5.0 Firmware? Or will it still endlessly reboot after installing XBMC?
You know when its solved when the nightlys are available again for atv2 - so sadly no.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV 2] problem installing latest trunk0