Best Backup Solution?
Hello Everyone. To those who helped me with getting my HTPC set up I thank you once again. Now that I have it all set up and running I need to start thinking about back up solutions.

Right now I have (2) 2tb hard drives. I just have them in an external case and they are hooked right to my HTPC. I'm starting to get really close to filling it up and wanted to get some advice from everyone.

Right now both hard drives are showing up separate on my cpu. I am looking to a solution where I can have them show up as one instead of separate. My second thing is since I'm almost out of space I want to add more. How could I add more to this set up and just keep doing that in the future? I don't want to keep adding more and it just showing up as multiple hard drive all over my cpu.
whats with your CPU?
Sounds like you need a media server. Unraid anyone?
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
oh yeah unRAiD FTW!!
now with unRAiD can i just keep adding more hard drive and nothing will happen to what i have on my current hard drives?
(2012-04-23, 19:06)wsume99 Wrote: Sounds like you need a media server. Unraid anyone?

+1......

If you already have hard drives and they are full..... well if you add them to the server they will get deleted.....

You atleast need to add one HD to the server...

let unraid check it....

transfer all your files to that hard drive.....

then add your other hard drives..... then they will become part of unraid.....

Make one of your hard drives.... (basically the first one you added) PARITY.....

Big Grin I'm typing to fast .... I have to go to work...... Sad

It's what I did on my server.....
okay now how do i get my HTPC to recognize this unraid? do i need to hook it straight up to it, or through my network or what?

thanks=)
Like any server you can just connect it to your home network. Then any computer on your network would be able to read/write to it.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
BTW.....

wsume99 he is a good when it comes to unraid...... he is a good guy..... Smile
is that the best way to do it, or would it be better to just run it directly? reason i'm asking is b/c i don't want to balg down my system.
explain more clearly littlepooch21
sorry. what i meant is it going to slow my internet down a lot if i am watching something in xbmc and surfing the net if i have it set up this way?
i dont see issues. all good
okay what would be the cheapest route to go so i can get things set up asap?
(2012-04-23, 22:44)littlepooch21 Wrote: sorry. what i meant is it going to slow my internet down a lot if i am watching something in xbmc and surfing the net if i have it set up this way?

I think it's fair to say that you will need a decent wifi router or preferably be hard wired, to stream your content within your network w/o any issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Backup Solution?0