auto-mount dvd/cd
Code:
echo “sys.dev.cdrom.lock=0″ >> /etc/sysctl.conf
that is to ensure nothing stupid is preventing xbmc. failing that idk, it works fine here. A fix was merged ages ago for this.

when in XBMC you probably need to press play, I cant say I ever had non default data inside the dvd.
I managed to make the Play Disc button appear and work thanks to AVee and brownie's posts and this post by tesjo on the Arch Linux forum: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=941120
This is on XBMC running under Ubuntu 12.04. The problem seems to be that the /dev/cdrom symlink disappears after the first time you insert a disc. I think it's an issue with udev or Ubuntu rather than with XBMC.

To recap, I made two modifications:

(1) I commented out the line
Code:
+auto.master
at the end of the file /etc/auto.master so that now it reads
Code:
# +auto.master
Edit: this seems not necessary for me - it works with (2) only.

(2) I created a new file /etc/udev/rules.d/82-cdrom.rules as follows:
Code:
# Custom CD-ROM symlinks
SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="cdrom cdrw dvd dvdrw"

The Play Disc button now appears automatically when I insert a CD or DVD.

Yesss... That works on two machines (XBMCbuntu on 12.04) here finally. Good work!
Yes, the "Play Disc" button appears now, but if I press it nothing appears...and if I going to video-->files, and click on "new" button (the dvd data, I think), directly list many folders (bin, mnt, cdrom, dvd, etc.).

I don't know what I have doing wrongly...

Thanks and regards.
(2012-10-30, 12:30)tocinillo Wrote: Yes, the "Play Disc" button appears now, but if I press it nothing appears...and if I going to video-->files, and click on "new" button (the dvd data, I think), directly list many folders (bin, mnt, cdrom, dvd, etc.).

Thanks and regards.

tocinillo, from your earlier posts I understand that you're looking to access a data dvd with video files on them. The play disc button is not expected to work for that, only for a dvd in video dvd format. The folders shown under video/files look like the contents of your root directory /.
Try to go to the /media folder. Does your dvd show up as an entry there?
(2012-10-30, 14:13)jochietoch Wrote:
(2012-10-30, 12:30)tocinillo Wrote: Yes, the "Play Disc" button appears now, but if I press it nothing appears...and if I going to video-->files, and click on "new" button (the dvd data, I think), directly list many folders (bin, mnt, cdrom, dvd, etc.).

Thanks and regards.

tocinillo, from your earlier posts I understand that you're looking to access a data dvd with video files on them. The play disc button is not expected to work for that, only for a dvd in video dvd format. The folders shown under video/files look like the contents of your root directory /.
Try to go to the /media folder. Does your dvd show up as an entry there?

Yes, I'm trying to access a data cd/dvd. The "Play disc" appears in main menu, but when I press it nothing appears. if I going to video-->files, and click on "new" button (the dvd data, I think), directly list many folders (bin, mnt, cdrom, dvd, etc.).

I tried to open /media folder (insead Video-->files-->New (thats the dvd data) and when I opened directly list some folders: cdrom, cdrom0, dvd and usb1-7. If I try open cdrom/cdrom0/dvd folder, this appears empty.

Furthermore, If I close XBMC (Exit), and return to login screen (LXDE) I log again in XBMC interface and then the dvd data APPEARS correcly. This indicates me that if I login in LXDE the optical dvd/cd mounts correctly, but not in XBMC...
That mean that xbmc/your user is not added to proper user groups.

uNi
(2012-10-31, 16:41)uNiversal Wrote: That mean that xbmc/your user is not added to proper user groups.

uNi

OK, mi username is htpc , how I add to proper group?

Thanks!
First check what user groups its added to:

Code:
id htpc

It should be more or less depending on what you want access to.

uid=1000(xbmc) gid=1000(xbmc) groups=1000(xbmc),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),104(fuse)

In this case where is xbmc should be htpc

to add users to missing groups:
Code:
usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev htpc
and for good mesasure add htpc to users
Code:
adduser htpc users

Use sudo where it applies for permissions

uNi
Hi,

I'm having this same problem. I'm now not able to access CDs or DVDs. I had this working at some point, but after a reboot, DVDs don't seem to mount any more. I did the actions Phyr0 described earlier
- sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4
- added dvd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/dvdrw to /etc/auto.misc
- reboot --> does not work
- commented out +auto.master in /etc/auto.master
- created /etc/udev/rules.d/82-cdrom.rules with SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="cdrom cdrw dvd dvdrw"
- reboot --> did not work
- added echo “sys.dev.cdrom.lock=0″ >> /etc/sysctl.conf
- reboot --> did not work

Some details:
Code:
$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
    Model Number:       Slimtype BD  E  DS4E1S                  
    Serial Number:      003070044721        
    Firmware Revision:  EAB1    
Standards:
    Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
    DRQ response: 50us.
    Packet size: 12 bytes
    cache/buffer size  = unknown
Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
         Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
         Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
    Enabled    Supported:
       *    PACKET command feature set
       *    DEVICE_RESET command
       *    NOP cmd
       *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
       *    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
       *    Host-initiated interface power management
       *    Phy event counters
            Device-initiated interface power management
            Asynchronous notification (eg. media change)
       *    Software settings preservation

$ dmesg | grep sr0
[    2.105311] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/1x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda pop-up
[    2.105692] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

$ ll /dev/cdr*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2012-11-07 13:46 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2012-11-07 13:46 /dev/cdrw -> sr0

$ ll /dev/dvd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2012-11-07 13:46 /dev/dvd -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2012-11-07 13:46 /dev/dvdrw -> sr0

$ less /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=74eb4248-de09-4489-bbb3-e5260f6cedd5 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=cfc4663e-8ecc-491a-ab66-a6b328620846 none            swap    sw              0       0

$ less /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
# This file maintains persistent names for CD/DVD reader and writer devices.
# See udev(7) for syntax.
#
# Entries are automatically added by the 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules
# file; however you are also free to add your own entries provided you
# add the ENV{GENERATED}=1 flag to your own rules as well.
# Slimtype_BD_E_DS4E1S (pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0)
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

$ mount | grep "/dev/sr" --> empty

$ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom/
mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0

$ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name:        sr0
drive speed:        1
drive # of slots:    1
Can close tray:        1
Can open tray:        1
Can lock tray:        1
Can change speed:    1
Can select disk:    0
Can read multisession:    1
Can read MCN:        1
Reports media changed:    1
Can play audio:        1
Can write CD-R:        1
Can write CD-RW:    1
Can read DVD:        1
Can write DVD-R:    1
Can write DVD-RAM:    1
Can read MRW:        1
Can write MRW:        1
Can write RAM:        1

Can anybody give an hint what to do? I'm wondering if the problem is in having both /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and 82-cdrom.rules ?

Thanks!
(2012-11-07, 16:49)mundus Wrote:
Code:

There is nothing in there to mount in first place.

can you pastebin the result of
Code:
cat /dev

You could try to add a cd/dvd mount to fstab too, in addition read this since it appears to where some of the instructions in this topic came from

uNi
I have same problem. I tryed every single solution I found but without luck...

If I power on my HTPC with CD/DVD inside BEFORE power it the cd/dvd data shows correctly or if I logout/login to LXDE. In addition, I see that if I login to my HTPC remotely (NoMachine, that login automatically to parallel LXDE session) a popup appears, so the cd/dvd is detected correctly...

If I put mount dev/sr0 the cd/dvd is mounted correctly but in XBMC Sessions not....

Furthermore, I tried all solutions in fresh xbmcbuntu installation (under Virtual Box) and I hace the same problem, so the problem is in Ubuntu/XBMC, not in my machine. If I rembember correctly, I tried it with Archlinux and same problem appears, so I think that problem is XBMC...

Sad

Thanks and regards to everyone.
IIRC this was fixed in XBMC but only after Eden release so its not part or xbmcbuntu.

uNi
Hi,

thanks.

(2012-11-07, 16:49)mundus Wrote:
Code:

(2012-11-07, 18:08)uNiversal Wrote: There is nothing in there to mount in first place.

Should this do the trick?

Code:
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/dvd

(2012-11-07, 18:08)uNiversal Wrote: can you pastebin the result of
Code:
cat /dev

Code:
cat /dev
cat: /dev: Is a directory

Did you mean cat /dev/sr0?
Code:
cat /dev/sr0
cat: /dev/sr0: No medium found

I added to /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/sr0        /media/dvd   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

By the way, I have booted my machine with a DVD in the drive, but it does not get recognized then. The reason I use the Live CD is that this way I managed to get the XBMC to work with my Asrock HTPC remote..
Hi,

ok, I got this working - kind of... I had in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

Code:
# This file maintains persistent names for CD/DVD reader and writer devices.
# See udev(7) for syntax.
#
# Entries are automatically added by the 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules
# file; however you are also free to add your own entries provided you
# add the ENV{GENERATED}=1 flag to your own rules as well.
# Slimtype_BD_E_DS4E1S (pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0)
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="cdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:0b.0-scsi-1:0:0:0", SYMLINK+="dvdrw", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

Note: scsi-1

On the other hand:

Code:
$ dmesg | grep -i "DVD"
[    2.104060] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/1x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda pop-up

Pointed to scsi-3. Changed all scsi-1 values in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules to scsi-3 and did a reboot and when inserting the DVD it got recognized. How ever, the DVD does NOT get recognized every time I isert it, but I have to open the bay and re-insert the disk again and a again, and then at some point it get recognized.

Another interesting thing is that I don't see anything under /media/dvd nor mount does not list the disk even if it's being played. So, something works, but not as it should...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
auto-mount dvd/cd3