auto-mount dvd/cd
@Zelos
When you put in a disc a new object in the main menu should appear (between program and system) called "play media/disc" (i have swedish in my menu so don't know the exact phrasing). It doesn't appear when you manually mount the drive.

Have you tried my solution/workaround? For me the disc mounts every time and appears in the menu.
robbanl,

thanks for your help. I have not tried your solution yet, but I will try it this evening.

So far the disk is mounted successfully. And when I mount it via udisks instead of mount, XBMC apparently gets notified and pops up a message indicating that an external hard drive has been mounted. However, the "play media/disc" button never appears.
(2012-04-29, 22:48)robbanl Wrote: Ok i think i found a solution by editing the mount policy, i got the cd/dvd to automount. Try to see if it works for you too.

No, this doesn't work for me (XBMCbuntu 11.10 aka XBMClive) Sad

Sometimes the entry "Play CD/DVD" in main menu appears for a very short time (1 secs) and then disappears. But no media is mounted.

_BJ1
@_BJ1

Strange it works perfectly fine here. Are you part of the group storage? I seem to recall that i also got the menu to pop up and than disappear hmm. I cleaned up my .pkla file a little (see post above), maybe it works better now?
(2012-05-04, 15:39)robbanl Wrote: @_BJ1

Strange it works perfectly fine here. Are you part of the group storage? I seem to recall that i also got the menu to pop up and than disappear hmm. I cleaned up my .pkla file a little (see post above), maybe it works better now?

I had to do

Code:
sudo usermod -aG storage <myxbmcuser>
instead of
Code:
sudo useradd -G storage <myxbmcuser>

But no reaction, even with your simplification.

_BJ1

(2012-05-04, 15:39)robbanl Wrote: @_BJ1

Hi, I have the same problem on XBMCbuntu 11 Eden - when I insert a dvd or cd, xbmc does not mount it and does not show the Play Disc button, except if the disc is present on startup. I've tried robbanl's approach (with _BJ1's modification to use usermod; the user is correctly set as part of the storage group) but no luck. I toyed around a bit with other polkit permissions settings that relate to discs, but I haven't got it to work so far. udisks does recognise when I insert a disc, but I don't get xbmc to see it.

robbanl, do you remember any other changes you made to your setup? I'd love to reproduce your success with this problem. Did anyone else have this problem and get it fixed? If so, what did you do?

Thanks all for your help!
Same problem here guys; xbmcbuntu and no DVD "play disc" option unless XBMC reboots.

Note that quitting XBMC and then immediately logging back in again seems to make the drive work temporarily. There appears to be an issue with the variable "system.hasmediadvd" and the command xbmc.playdvd(); modifying the skin XML file to make "PLAY DISC" always appear in mainmenu (by deleting the constraint that system.hasmediadvd must be true for it to appear) and then logging out and back in again while a DVD is in the drive seems to fix this until the next reboot. Therefore it seems there are two problems: the system.hasmediadvd doesn't say true after you switch from the DVD that was present at XBMC startup, and also the xbmc.playdvd() function only works after the computer has been to the UBUNTU login screen with a DVD loaded. it seems whatever process "mounts" and "unmounts" (not sure precisely what these words mean) these optical disks is NOT starting when we direct-boot into XBMC, but does turn on when we get to the login screen, and appears to continue to work from then onwards upon logging back into XBMC. I'm new here, and I might be way off, but that's my impression from a couple hours of experimentation.

Please help! Can somebody open a bug tracker or something? I don't know how and this seems like a pretty big deal. Love the software otherwise though!
I found an issue with autfs/automount on XBMCbuntu. In my /etc/auto.master the last line was '+auto.master' wich caused errors when starting automount.
I'm not sure if XBMC actually needs autofs, but after I commented that line and rebooted XBMC did see the audio cd I inserted. Could be luck or something else though...
Hello,

in the meantime, I migrated the OS from Ubuntu to Archlinux because of several issues Ubuntu had.

I also found a simple solution: After the iscsi setup, including giving the xbmc user direct access to the block device, all I had to do was to create a symlink in one of the media directories to the block device containing .iso at the end of the name (e.g. dvd.iso).

This way, XBMC thinks it is a DVD-ISO Image, which can of course be accessed in the same way as the real DVD.

I use my mac mini as router, it has an optical drive I usually don't use and it stands in another room (so I don't hear the noise from DVD playback), whereas the Media PC running XBMC does not have an optical drive, hence this solution.
Zelos

Could you give a step by step of your fix? I am trying to get something like this to work with my ATV and having a really hard time.

Thanks
Hello guys out there,

I was sitting there in the living room, doing some cleanup from on my XBMCbuntu HTPC from a remote ssh session with my laptop. And i thought "Why not listen to some music while I'm doing this ?". I popped in and Audio CD of "Sam & Dave" and got back to where I was sitting but the disc was not recognised. I didn't want to stand up again... Instead, I tried the eject command from ssh (Yeah, I know I can be lazy) ; which should have popped out the disc out, but instead the shell told me something like :

Code:
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

So, I created by hand the cdrom link in /dev (it's not always there) :

Code:
sudo ln -sf /dev/sr0 /dev/sdrom

And guess what, the damn disc started to spin around a got recognised... But at next reboot, it stopped working (I have to create this link again) Sad
Same problem: XBMC dont mount my discs. I'm using XBMC 11 Eden PVR (pulse-eight) under XBMCBuntu 12.04. My DVD video and Blu-ray was playing correctly, but CD/DVD Data doesn't appear in XBMC....any ideas to fix itHuh

Thanks!
(2012-06-01, 22:55)AVee Wrote: I found an issue with autfs/automount on XBMCbuntu. In my /etc/auto.master the last line was '+auto.master' wich caused errors when starting automount.
I'm not sure if XBMC actually needs autofs, but after I commented that line and rebooted XBMC did see the audio cd I inserted. Could be luck or something else though...

Now with other fix on my xbmc, it works perfectly XD
First i've added in my xbmc live installed this repository with these commands
Quote:sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list \
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list
sudo apt-get --quiet update
sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring
sudo apt-get --quiet update
After i've installed w32codecs and various libdvds
Quote:sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4

Latest i've edited /etc/auto.misc like this
Quote:#
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
dvd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/dvdrw

# the following entries are samples to pique your imagination
#linux -ro,soft,intr ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hda1
#floppy -fstype=auto :/dev/fd0
#floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#e2floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#jaz -fstype=ext2 :/dev/sdc1
#removable -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hdd

After i've reboot, and any dvd and cd will played without problems ^_^
PS also i've installed non-free-codecs library with this

Quote:sudo apt-get install non-free-codecs

ENJOY
nerd powah! Rofl
I tried it on XBMCBuntu (12.04) and is not working for me, sorry Sad

DVD/CD/BD Video/Audio is working perfectly, but when I try to view a DVD with some videos (mkv, avi) and some photos the dvd is not mount (nothing appear in XBMC, well, the only thing that appears is the "Play Disc" menu in Home).

Thanks in any case.
I'm vey interested on view my dvd/cd data, but it's impossible....XBMC don't read this (mounted correctly in LXDE, but not in XBMC...).

Anyone? Any dev? Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
auto-mount dvd/cd3