[LIVE] Performance problems under Eden
I am using an acer aspire revo, I forget the exact model number (3670 something like that) but it's the on with 2GB ram and an atom N330. I'm trying to play an MKV file:

And am only getting about 11fps - very jerky. I'm not getting this problem with even 1080p files in MKV from other sources, and I've seen this problem more and more since I upgraded. I compile from git, but irregularly. Last update was yesterday. This hardware should be able to handle this file just fine. Would it help at all to recompile and point to an external ffmpeg that supports multithreading? Should I upgrade to 12.04LTS to get newer NVIDIA drivers?

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 09:18:20 PDT 2010
GCC version:  gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5.1)
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ uname -a
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 19:00:09 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS - XBMCLive Dharma"

And XBMC info:

Code:
17:45:12 T:3079067456  NOTICE: Starting XBMC (12.0-ALPHA1 Git:20120425-50f370d), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS - XBMCLive Dharma, 2.6.32-29-generic i686). Built on Apr 26 2012

Full output with debug on from boot to file play here: http://pastebin.com/qYh9htPB

All my packages are up to date - I always do an
Code:
apt-get upgrade
prior to compiling XBMC from source... Undecided

EDIT: I meant to post the topic as Eden. Been using Dharma so long it was habit LOL
I think the problem is the video is 10-bit and vdpau not supporting this, so its all docoded via cpu. Your best bet would be to reencode the video...
Is that a limitation of the version of NVIDIA driver that I am using? In other words, should I upgrade from 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS in order to get the advantages available in the 295.40 version of the NVIDIA driver over the 195.36 version?
Hrm well I did the upgrade, but now very strange things have happened:

the sudo do-release-upgrade -d more or less went without a hitch. Except I reboot and now I see this:

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:/etc/grub.d$ uname -a
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 19:00:09 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Eeek! I try to do an upgrade:

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:/etc/grub.d$ uname -a
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 19:00:09 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
xbmc@XBMCLive:/etc/grub.d$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  apt apt-utils avahi-daemon bind9-host bison debhelper dhcp3-client dhcp3-common esound-common fglrx
  fp-compiler fp-units-rtl gawk gettext libaudiofile-dev libavcodec-dev libavfilter-dev libavformat-dev
  libavutil-dev libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev libcdio-dev libesd0 libesd0-dev libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin
  libgtk2.0-common libiso9660-dev liblockfile1 libmikmod2 libmikmod2-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev
  libmysqlclient-dev libpostproc-dev libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsoap-lite-perl libswscale-dev
  libxmltv-perl linux-generic linux-image-generic lirc lsb-release man-db ntpdate nvidia-settings python
  python-apt python-dev python-gnupginterface python-minimal python-qt3 python-sip python-software-properties
  python-sqlite python-xkit screen-resolution-extra ttf-liberation ubuntu-minimal udisks update-manager-core
  upower usbutils whois wireless-crda wpasupplicant x11-utils xbmc xbmc-bin xbmc-data xbmc-live
  xbmc-skin-confluence xbmc-standalone xmltv xmltv-gui xmltv-util xterm
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 79 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Setting up initramfs-tools (0.99ubuntu13) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic
cp: cannot stat `/lib/libacl*': No such file or directory
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/live failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic with 1.
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
xbmc@XBMCLive:/etc/grub.d$

double eek! Ok, so how can I make this machine use the proper kernel? It looks like the newest kernel did not even download:

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:/etc/grub.d$ sudo update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-29-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic
done

Halp!
Ugh. munged things good. Time for XBMCBuntu
OK - updated to XBMCBuntu, added the x-swat PPA to get the newest nvidia drivers, and now xbmc is tearing up these 10-bit files just like any other. Yay! Good thing I backed up my userdata folder. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Performance problems under Eden0