{HELP} What is Boxee? Thanks
Is it better than Navi-X?

Thanks
i like boxee better. compared to navi-x, it sucks less at mowing my lawn than navi-x does at making waffles.
didn't know that. thx Big Grin
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
boxee is totally different than Navi-x. You can use Navi-x within Boxee like you do XBMC. Boxee is a media center like XBMC and I believe the code is based on XBMC but it is a different over all feel. You can download the software to try it as it is free to own or buy a "Boxee Box" with it pre installed as a settop box. Boxee has alot of limitations compared to XBMC though so if you are used to XBMC, I'd say stick with it. but try it for yourself, download the software.
(2012-04-11, 18:22)spiff Wrote: i like boxee better. compared to navi-x, it sucks less at mowing my lawn than navi-x does at making waffles.

It's a pitty that there is no Hall Of Fame for such posts Big Grin
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2012-04-11, 19:06)mad-max Wrote:
(2012-04-11, 18:22)spiff Wrote: i like boxee better. compared to navi-x, it sucks less at mowing my lawn than navi-x does at making waffles.

It's a pitty that there is no Hall Of Fame for such posts Big Grin

There is:
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18

Rofl
You guys are breaking my balls

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2012-04-11, 22:54)xbs08 Wrote: You guys are breaking my balls

Hopefuly not between the waffle iron

That list is only a very small part of the famous quotes.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

That is the best answer to a question I have ever seen.

As for boxee, the windows version is discontinued, full of bugs, most of the apps are broken or suck, and I hear the boxee box version isn't much better either.

As for navi-x, good plugin but I don't think we are allowed to discuss it on here any more Undecided
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Boxee has, in my opinion, superior vision to almost any other media center software I've seen. It tries to present your media in a manner that combines local media with streamed content and lets you sort through not only your own library but "trending" shows, etc. In other words, the "Library" incorporates content well beyond what's in your local fileserver. It's a pretty fantastic approach if it works...a content-first UX, rather than an apps-first UX (a la XBMC, etc.).

The problem is that their streaming access is dreadful. No Hulu whatsoever. Netflix is there but Netflix content is not integrated into the Library. Changing site streaming standards mean that streaming content that appears in the Library is unreliable -- sometimes it'll work, other times you'll run into a dreaded (and frequent) you-need-to-upgrade-Flash error. And much streaming content is, in fact, limited to apps, so while they aim at being content-first, it ultimately becomes a weird hybrid of content and apps.

If Boxee had reliable access to all the streaming content that XBMC does, I'd use it over just about everything else. But...it doesn't, and while the UI is pretty slick it ultimately fails the wifey test simply because the content is so limited and unreliable. That and it's buggy, buggy, buggy.

(Incidentally, the closest I've come to seeing what Boxee provides is -- hilariously -- TiVo, which will search content from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, DVR recordings, and upcoming TV listings when you look for a show or browse through things like trending videos...but the UI is a bit of a mess and the content focus isn't quite right, and of course you can't access locally stored media outside of the DVR...as such, my current setup is a TiVo box with OTA TV, running through a GoogleTV box that has the Plex app, so I get basically everything in one input)
(2012-04-16, 22:33)ginsengbomb Wrote: (Incidentally, the closest I've come to seeing what Boxee provides is -- hilariously -- TiVo

what is hilarious about TiVo?

Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
{HELP} What is Boxee? Thanks0