HTPC Power Draw - Component Selection
Rainbow 
Good Morning All,

I am looking to finally move away from my Boxee Box, and build my HTPC. I'm debating between an i3 or an A8-3820... the concern though is the power draw of each of these solutions. I've already purchased my case which came with a 150 watt flex powersupply... so that is my self imposed limitation. In any case, here is what I'm working with -->

Shared Components
Lian-LI PQ90F
Sony Slot Load Combo-Drive
SSD
8GB DDR3 Memory

Intel Solution
Intel i3-2120
BIOSTAR TH61 ITX
HIS Radeon-6570

AMD Solution
A8-3820
ASRock A75M-ITX

Now I realize that their is an argument that the i3 does not require a separate video card, but from wasting more time at work than my boss appreciates, I can honestly say the reviews are split on how usable on the solution is it. So lets humor me, and assume that a discrete video card is required.

All I really want to know, is if both solutions are feasible on a 150watt PSU... if not, which one is?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

~Spritz
The case you linked does not have an expansion slot for a graphics card.

To answer your question, 150W should be sufficient for either setup.
(2012-07-12, 17:00)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The case you linked does not have an expansion slot for a graphics card.

To answer your question, 150W should be sufficient for either setup.

wow, is my face red. Well that makes my component selection much easier Tongue

I really don't know how I missed that... I guess I'm just used to cases having an expansion slot. Thanks for catching that Smile

~Spritz
(2012-07-12, 16:47)Spritzup Wrote: ... the concern though is the power draw of each of these solutions. I've already purchased my case which came with a 150 watt flex powersupply... so that is my self imposed limitation.

There's this CPU it's 35W instead of 65W.
HTPC: Apex MI-008 | Foxconn H67S | Celeron G530 | G.SKILL 4GB | Crucial 64 SSD| Arctic Cooling | PicoPSU-160-XT
(2012-07-12, 16:47)Spritzup Wrote: Now I realize that their is an argument that the i3 does not require a separate video card, but from wasting more time at work than my boss appreciates, I can honestly say the reviews are split on how usable on the solution is it. So lets humor me, and assume that a discrete video card is required.
For playback blu-ray 1080P video/bitstreaming HD audio, Intel HD2000 iGPU is all you need....I don't have any problem playback blu-ray file using HD2000.....

(2012-07-12, 16:47)Spritzup Wrote: All I really want to know, is if both solutions are feasible on a 150watt PSU... if not, which one is?
~Spritz
It shoud be enough for both A8&i3......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-12, 17:43)scrolling Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 16:47)Spritzup Wrote: ... the concern though is the power draw of each of these solutions. I've already purchased my case which came with a 150 watt flex powersupply... so that is my self imposed limitation.

There's this CPU it's 35W instead of 65W.

Normal usage power consumption will be the same. It's only at the high-end when the 35W CPU is throttled by the TDP limit that it'll use less. This is true across nearly the whole Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge line. Now, that said, if you need a low-profile fan it's worth comparing the cost of the 'T' model vs. the non-T model plus an aftermarket low profile cooler.

(2012-07-12, 17:13)Spritzup Wrote: wow, is my face red. Well that makes my component selection much easier Tongue

I really don't know how I missed that... I guess I'm just used to cases having an expansion slot. Thanks for catching that Smile

No worries. I have that case so I know Smile. If you want a mini-itx case with a slot Google 'Realan E-i7' for a nice aluminum case. There are also other great Lian-Li choices. Both are very nice if you like brushed aluminum finish and all-metal construction in a mini-itx case.

(2012-07-12, 19:50)Dougie Fresh Wrote: No worries. I have that case so I know Smile. If you want a mini-itx case with a slot Google 'Realan E-i7' for a nice aluminum case. There are also other great Lian-Li choices. Both are very nice if you like brushed aluminum finish and all-metal construction in a mini-itx case.

Thanks Dougie. I already have the Lian-Li, as I picked it up on clearance for $75-taxes in. I've been leaning towards the AMD solution the entire time, the only thing making me hesitate was the limited upgrade path. However, I think the 3820 is going to be a decent solution for the forseeable future...

~Spritz
I got mine on clearance too. That's the way to afford Lian-Li Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Power Draw - Component Selection0