Win XBMC N00b NAS Build
Having only played with unRAID a little bit so far, it sounds like maybe you set the 140GB hard drive as the parity drive, I had a similar error message when I mistakenly setup my 500GB drive as parity instead of my 2TB. The parity drive has to be as big, or bigger, than all the other drives in the array.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-04-27, 20:06)bumperjeep Wrote: Ubuntu server/desktop for the win. Look up Webmin! Rtorent is better than deluge. Hard to install but I have a script.

Bumperjeep - okay, I'm listening to Ubuntu Server - what's your take on Webmin - why is it good, what does it replace?

I'm more inclined to install a Ubuntu Server system with a method to RDP (forgive my M$-isims) to it, as it'll be headless and have torrent clients and all that wizz bang stuff installed on it so that my machine %thor% doesn't have to do a thing except run my Facebook, Photoshop and other applications that I run, not what the rest of the house runs.

Any and all help is greeted with a +1 in my mind & heart, as well as a rep +1 as soon as the forum lets me see the button!
(2012-04-29, 22:25)Mick1152 Wrote: Having only played with unRAID a little bit so far, it sounds like maybe you set the 140GB hard drive as the parity drive, I had a similar error message when I mistakenly setup my 500GB drive as parity instead of my 2TB. The parity drive has to be as big, or bigger, than all the other drives in the array.

That's what I thought as well, however, the parity drive in the webUI was blank and I was unable to select anything for that option.

I'm thinking about going to Ubuntu as my NAS OS due to it's usability, GUI, ability to share files without credentials and a load of other stuff. I just need to now find a 20-40GB HDD to load the OS on, unless someone has a tutorial on how to install it to a USB drive (fyi, the one I have right now is a 4GB one).
openmediavault..?
May I make a suggestion on the network piece. I had tried powerline networking and upgraded a few times. It was okay but not great.

One day I I was on smallnetbuilder.com and came across MOCA. Networking over cable. I have cable outlets all through out the house and decided to try a set. Via amazon I bought a set of Netgear pieces. They were reasonable. I got better through put on the network.

Take a look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_coax

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/25/netge...er-review/
Webmin is absolutely essential for any server that you are going manage remotely, headless and over the internet.

Take a look at this: http://woodel.com/page2.html for a webmin guide on a debian server.

FreeNX Server is a virtual desktop over SSH- slightly different from VNC
Rtorrent + Rutorrent is the software you want to use for Torrents
Check http://randystech.com/ for the scripts for FreeNx and rtorrent.
I would install OpenVPN for tunneling as well.
Subsonic is amazing as well for streaming http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp
Here's another good resource. http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-...lders.html
Unraid is amazing for a storage server, but it lacks the flexibility of Ubuntu server in terms of installing software. I'm having the same dilemma as you, Ubuntu vs UnRaid

If you want something you can monkey with, I second the move to Ubuntu. unRAID is unbeatable if you want a storage and protection solution that can also do other stuff.

If you're not yet sure what all you want it to do and are still discovering stuff to add, Ubuntu is the only way to go (or at least some popular full linux distro). From reading your posts and seeing your plan evolve and take shape, I recommend Ubuntu Server and flexRAID.

Get a 32gb flash drive so you have room to grow and build it just like you would an unRAID server. With the hardware assembled, burn an Ubuntu installer disc. If necessary, enable booting from usb in the bios. Plug in the usb drive, and boot from the CD. The usb drive will be selectable as a place to install Ubuntu. If you really want to get fancy, get a second usb drive and run it in a straight mirrored RAID. That way if your usb drive fails, you've got an exact copy ready to go.

MoCA is a cool technology, but in practice it has some problems. If you have Comcast (and thus most US cable providers will be the exact same) they could care less about the lines in your house, as that's "your problem." What makes this a concern is a tech won't think twice about cutting and splicing and cable line he gets his hands on, as long as his boxes work, nothing else matters. You also need a higher Signal to Noise Ratio for MoCA than for video (or even internet) service. Again, this only becomes a problem if they're jacking around inside the house on a service call. If you're confident in your ability to run and properly terminate coax (If I catch you using screw on coax connectors, you'll eat them), it's a powerful tool to have in your belt. With that being said though, at that point I think you're better served by learning to run and terminate cat 6.
Okay, I've had a quick look at MoCA and I can say with almost 100% certainty, I will not be using that. The situation is, that at the moment, I'm renting, so I'm running this whole thing through Wi-Fi. I've got a MIMO router at the moment and further along the line, I'll put in some more access points to boost signal and range.

When my wife, child and I move out of the house we're in now, it'll be into our own house after it's finished being built - during the build there will be dual ethernet wall points placed in EVERY room of the house running CAT-6 cables, except the toilet, yes, even the bathroom.

After this happens, I'll be networking the house somewhat like an office - 24-port switch connected to a UPS running the NAS as well.

The thing with Ubuntu is that I'm hardcore M$ (don't hold it against me) so I want my server to be able to run things, multiple things, things that I CAN do from my PC but just want to do server side - i.e. torrenting and printer sharing etc.
(2012-05-01, 09:56)lcapriotti Wrote: openmediavault..?

Thank you for this suggestion - I might actually have a look at this tonight. Thanks.
(2012-05-01, 09:56)lcapriotti Wrote: openmediavault..?

lcapriotti; you'll be happy to know, I've looked at this NAS OS and I've decided to run it. I'm currently downloading the .iso and will have it installed fairly shortly.

I'd like to thank you for your suggestion as I'm pretty sure it's going to work amazingly and be everything I want and more.

I'm changing the build guide to suit.

Thanks again!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
What is Open Media Vault like compared to Ubuntu and Unraid?
(2012-05-02, 21:02)bumperjeep Wrote: What is Open Media Vault like compared to Ubuntu and Unraid?

Amazing - smart - fluid - not as easy to install (well for me anyway). I'll be making video's and documentation about the setup and config of this system as there's not much of it on the net I've found.
If you will have any question about OMV let us know. One of my systems running OMV with the following packages -
webmin, mhddfs, snapraid, plex, tonido, crashplan, rsync ...

So far it is one of the best solutions for home setup.
Ok, Rauf, thanks for that - I've PM'd you.

Just letting everyone know, I haven't given up hope, I haven't abandoned the project, I'm just trying to get this build guide perfect. Shouldn't be too long now!
*reserved*
Hi guys,

Just letting you know that I'm back on this project after having some major change in my life over the last few months.

I've moved house, changed jobs, welcomed a Son into the world with my wife and have actually completed the build and network!

I'll let you know what I've got, how I've set it up and what I plan to do in the future with it.

Firstly, here's the new network map of the home network. All of the nodes have been connected through CAT5e and the blue line represents Wi-Fi connections;

I ended up settling with Windows Server 2012 as my operating system as I realised that I needed more than just media stored in a central location, also I'm running the printers from there and I've set it up as a secondary 'licensing' server.

For media server software I'm currently using Twonky, however when I've got some time, I'll be moving to Mezzmo as the server software, simply because with the LG DP-1 (which I scored for $85!) it doesn't matter what format I download in, it will play it. However, with the Xbox, it still doesn't like a lot of files (namely .mkv). Mezzmo will transcode on the fly all of the content flying through on it's way to the Xbox.

I'm still using uTorrent to download content as well as iTunes all saving into a central location.

So why am I still posting in the XBMC forum about my media setup that doesn't involve XBMC anywhere? Well, because I still want to build a HTPC. I want to build one in such a manner that it will look simply like a DVD player or set-top box, but it will encase a HTPC with a Blu-ray player.

I'll have another look around and come back to you with details and then the build guide. On the HTPC, I'll without doubt be using XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC N00b NAS Build2