Autostart failing [SOLVED]
Hi all. I'm trying to get XBMC to autostart on a clean install of XP but it's failing. I get an error that is mentioned in other threads as being a generic graphics driver issue. when I did my system rebuild I just used the latest drivers from the Nvidia site so I didn't think it was that. Here is a copy of my log: http://pastebin.com/urjy8vuw

The crazy thing is, that if I manually start XBMC once windows is loaded everything is fine. Go figure.
Is that log from when it failed to start?
(2012-04-24, 16:57)kricker Wrote: Is that log from when it failed to start?

Yes, the relevant bits of the log are:

Code:
ERROR: CRenderSystemDX::CreateDevice - unable to create a device. 8876086A - D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE (Not available)
FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init rendering system

It's very odd that you get a DirectX error. You could making XBMC delay a few seconds before starting by adding the argument "-d 10" so the command to launch XBMC is:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 10

The "-d 10" makes XBMC wait ten seconds before initialising itself.
Yeah, That is weird that that happens at start and it needs a delay.
I'll try this. If this turns out to be the solution I'll be frustrated as I just put an SSD in the media centre to make it load as fast as possible.
That didn't work - same error again. Any other ideas?
UPDATE: Got it to work. I noticed that the Welcome screen was showing for ages and that when it disappeared the Error was still showing. I timed how long the Welcome screen was showing for and applied that delay to the shortcut (30 sec in this case). Worked like a charm (28 seconds still gave the error). Thanks for the suggestion jhsrennie.

Realistically is 30 seconds sitting at the welcome screen normal on an SSD or am I expecting too much out of my system (specs in the Pastebin file)? Time to start tweaking XP for quicker load times I guess.
30 seconds on the welcome screen? I think something is amiss even not on a SSD. With a SSD I get a full boot in under 30 seconds. You might want to look into what is starting when your PC starts up. I know you said it was a clean install but something is wrong.
Any suggestions on how I would go about that? I haven't installed anything on this computer yet (apart from the drivers etc to get the thing up and running and the bajillion Microsoft updates to bring it up to date.)
First, I'd go thru and disable all the system services you do not need. Then there used to be a program that would trace your boot process and tell you how long each stage took, so you could look into specific areas. You could also startup with boot logging enabled and read thru the log for any clues. I have no ideas what tweaks you might need to make to make XP work better with a SSD. I'm sure there are some things you need to do as XP does not support the trim command for SSDs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Autostart failing [SOLVED]0