• 3(current)
The "A6-Pack" Build
Alright, decided to start putting this thing together. Ended up picking up a Shuriken Rev B SCSK-1100, for $29.99 I figured I might as well vs building it with the stock fan and potentially finding it too loud. Still don't have my RAM, but have a stick of 1GB DDR3 I can use if I have to to hold me over.

This is the first PC I've build entirely from scratch, and the first thing I'm noticing is holy cow there are a lot of cables on this build! I removed the fan to gain more access.

I've connected..

1. 24 pin power
2. USB cable to one of the two available USB connections (USB89 instead of USB67 - does this matter??) on the Mobo
- In between these two USB connections is a CIR connector, which I assume I don't use unless I purchase the Asrock remote??
3. The mobo came with a couple SATA3 cables, so I connected one to SATA3-1 for my SSD.
4. The HD Audio cable from the case to the mobo. Question, there was also an AC'97 cable connected to the HD Audio cable, but I don't see anywhere to connect this, so I assume if one doesn't have HD Audio one would connect the AC'97 instead?
5. There was another SATA cable attached to the case where the USB/Audio and other front connections are, so I attached this to SATA3?
6. Connected the Shuriken Fan to the CPU Fan 1 connector on the Mobo.
7. Connected the PowerLED +/- cable from the case to the Mobo
8. Connected the Reset SW to the Reset# and Ground Pins (I'm assuming the black wire IS NOT the ground?)
9. Connected the Power SW cable to the PWRBTN# and Ground (again, assuming the black wire IS NOT the ground here?)

Still have a whack of cables left, but no idea whether to connect any of them?

Thanks!
Oh, and the cable management is BRUTAL right now. Ugly.
BTW, just putting the Optical tray on to see how it fits, and IT'S SUPER tight. The Shuriken barely fits under it, the tray actually presses it down 1MM or 2. Doesn't seem to interfere with the fan at all so I'm assuming it's okay.
(2012-04-29, 23:55)Sdpbc Wrote: The Shuriken barely fits under it, the tray actually presses it down 1MM or 2. Doesn't seem to interfere with the fan at all so I'm assuming it's okay.

any pics for us to see Sdpbc? thx
Cables are not that bad.... the only thing I did not hook up was the AUDIO for the front ports....
A few pics...

You can see the cables I didn't use in the first and last pic. In the first pic one of the 4 pin power cables will be used for the case fan.

I also didn't see what the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable was for as it didn't appear to connect to anything?

Beer40z - which cable was for the front port Audio?
... and yes, I pushed the RAM further in and locked it down (in case someone notices that .. Wink )
Can someone comment on the ground cables per 8 and 9 above? I don't want to short anything!
Another Q. Occurred to me today I don't have a PC Monitor, just an LCD and 60" plasma. Am I able to simply plug the HDMI cable right into these to setup Windows 7, etc, as opposed to needing a VGA monitor to setup the drivers to enable HDMI? I just tried plugging the HDMI into my bedroom Sony LCD, and received a "no signal" message..
i installed my O/S on my HDTV using HDMi ....
Hmmm .... wonder why I'm getting a "no signal" message. Will have to try again. Unless something isn't plugged in! Smile
... also, when I hit the power button, the PC won't turn off? Clearly have connected something wrong.
wont turn off?

make your Power Switch header plug lead do a 180 degree...
Sorry, not following what you're asking me to do?
(2012-04-30, 01:48)Sdpbc Wrote: ... also, when I hit the power button, the PC won't turn off? Clearly have connected something wrong.
You need to check the drawing in page #27 of your manual carefully, and make sure that PWRBTN in the correct slot and correct orientation....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hmmm ... is it possible I have the ground and power pins inverted? Though I think in that case it wouldn't work at all. Wonder if the cable has to be installed vertically instead of horizontally as I've installed it...
Okay, power issue fixed (had the cables inverted as you guys were suggesting.

Still no signal. Hmm ... maybe a bad HDMI cable?
Yup, bad HDMI cable.

Power button works, still a bit odd. Seems to require 2 pushes sometimes to shut off. Maybe something in the BIOS as the manual implies I can configure how the power button works.
Well typing on my 60" Plasma from the Antec box. Installing Windows updates and the Asrock A75 drivers. Not sure which utilities and/or drivers to install, so guessing at it!

Added a warning on the RAM I bought, it just barely fits under the Shuriken. It's much wider than the picture lets on!
Do I need to install the SATA RAID driver off the Asrock CD?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The "A6-Pack" Build0