XBMC eden - having issues to enable subs from (compressed) .rar files
Exclamation 
I am having serious issues regarding playing a movie that has a Subs dir with subtitles packed in .rar format inside. With Dharma builds, they all played fine. But now when trying to play a movie with subs in rar format, audio & video options tells me Subtitles isnt even enabled, enabling it and searching manually for the sub isn't working either. It's very frustrating, also have this on a Windows 7 64-bits machine (tried all beta, RCs and final with same error). Tried compiling the latest as of 19th of April on ubuntu, but still the same issue. Anyone who knows how to fix this small, but yet annoying problem? Thank you in advance!

edit: tried on xbmcbuntu eden on an nvidia ion2 system. completely new install.

edit2: i have now made some observations:
it doesn't happen with non-compressed subtitles, only compressed.

does anyone have a solution to this? I've tried compiling again as of the 25th of April, but the problem still exists.

edit3: Okay, I have now spoken some with cptspiff in the #xbmc-linux channel, and he says it's due to the fact that names of the subtitle (like name.idx/.sub) must match the video (like name.avi) in order to play. According to him this is due to the fact that ppl were having issues with CD2 subs before. Now it's creating an even bigger problem as subtitles aren't shown at all for many titles which are named name-a.idx and name-b.idx for multicd releases. I also have a confirmed issue with a movie The Divided which have problems with subs even though they are non-compressed and tagged just like the movie itself. This is also a problem with the XBMC Subtitles plugin, as the subs downloaded from there rarely are named exactly like the movie.
Please see if anyone can fix this problem, it's a big flaw in the otherwise perfect system of XBMC.
If someone could create a patch or something to fix that, that would be really great. 'Cause i believe more people will be affected by the naming restrictions this has caused, rather than those having problems with 2CD movies as suggested by cptspiff.

edit: when speaking to cptspiff, you get so frustrated.... blaming me for being an egomaniac for wanting this to be fixed, sigh, does he not see the big picture of everyone else affected?
yeah this forced me to stick with Dharma. Solution Please
i believe this is the culprit to why we cannot have proper subtitles with our movies:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/f4d1...d631df3287

edit:
I have now spoken to anssi and he will take a look at it, as it, according to him, should work with the examples i have given him in the xbmc channel. I'll keep you posted Smile

edit2:
Anssi seem to have found a bug in the code, although he says it's more complex than he hoped for. Good thing this is gonna be taken care of tho! Smile
I'm looking at this.

I've just fixed (in master) one issue related to this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/a0b0...00589bfd33

However, there are several more issues affecting at least the examples slacker666 provided to me in IRC, at least in current git master. They are more complex issues, however, so I wasn't yet able to fix them properly. It might be several weeks until I get this completely fixed, as I'm quite busy for the next weeks. After I've fixed all the issues I'll look at backporting the fixes to Eden.
(2012-05-01, 14:09)slacker666 Wrote: i believe this is the culprit to why we cannot have proper subtitles with our movies:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/f4d1...d631df3287

For the record, the above commit isn't related to this issue.
The issues I've seen are
As noted, I'm working on this, but quite busy for the next few weeks so don't expect a speedy fix.
Thanks for the reply Anssi, waiting anxiously for this to be fixed, although I know you won't let us down.
All the issues I saw with the examples provided by slacker666 (plus some other rar issues) have now been fixed git master.

I've also put up an Eden branch with the fixes applied:
https://github.com/anssih/xbmc/tree/Eden+fixes

I'll look into adding them in official Eden tree later, after they've got some testing (especially the rar fixes I made).

Thanks for the report Smile
many thanks! I've tried playing two movies (one 1CD and one 2CD) and they were both working well, so thank you again! :-)

edit:
it has come to my attention that the Eden fix you posted, has some old, non-existing, dependencies required to compile, and the git master as of yesterday at least, has audio issues (no sound!).

life ain't fair! Tongue
edit: i got it working with audio in git master now, i dunno if it is related, but i changed the audio options in Settings>System>Audio from "custom" and "alsa:hdmi" to "Nvidia HDMI" in both cases and it works (also updated to latest git as of 0900 GMT+1 this morning).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC eden - having issues to enable subs from (compressed) .rar files1