"new" used ATV2, advice please
hello,

I recently purchased 2 used ATV2 (from gainsaver.com, BTW), and they arrived today. I'm not asking for how to jailbreak; I'm jsut asking for advice.

One has 4.2.1 and the other has 4.2.2. From what I understand there is no way I can perform an untethered jai;brak on these since I don't have the signed SHSH Blobs. Can anyone confirm?

Am I better off just upgrading to the latest OS, running TineUmbrella and saving my SHSH Blobs (just in case), then performing a tethered JB?

Thanks,

Allan
It's a it long winded but you can jailbreak the firmware you are on without blobs: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/7279

It would be easier to just go on 5.1 but its up to you really.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Yeah. You can definitely do an untethered jailbreak with both of those being at a lower firmware than iOS 5.1. The firmware being on 5.1 when you get it is what requires a tethered jailbreak. That's the key.

Don't upgrade to the latest iOS 5.1... jailbreak as is.
Deanmv: would the method you link to result in an untether JB? Also, the link refers to 4.4.4 files. Would I use those, or would I need to find files specific to the versions I have?

Crawl, do you have any links with instructions or suggestions? Everything I've read indicates it's not possible, but I'm game to try.

Thank,

Allan
Depends if the version you are on (4.2.1 or 4.2.2) are tethered or untethered as to here: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3418 also, read the link again "Should work with any version.. just replace 4.4.4 with your jailbreakable version." Although the title says 4.4.4 it should work on any.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Ok! Finally done! After slogging though dozen of pages on the link posting, there was finally a post the explained an easier way. Use i faith to get the shsh blob, then sn0wbreeze to sign it, use iTunes to restore. Why the moderator doesn't update the main post, I dont know.

At any rate, I'm happily jail broken and xbmc-ing!

I only with I had purchased more atv2 from gain saver when they had them for $69. They are 119 now! Also, they came with some third party remotes that I was actually looking forward to using, but when I peeled off the plastic, the paint came off the buttons! Oh well, I have a bunch of old white apple remotes that will work well.

Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"new" used ATV2, advice please0