Change platform from Windows 7 to XBMCbuntu
Hi,

I am currently running XBMC 11 Eden on Windows 7 HP 64bit.
My original intent was to use it for more than just XBMC, and support for the E350 APU on linux wasn't great at the time I set it up.
However I use it for XBMC almost exclusively, except for a little web browsing.

I want to move to XBMCbuntu, but I want to do it with as little downtime as possible, and with keeping my library intact.

What steps do I need to take to keep everything as it is (as far as possible)?

My setup is this:

HW:
ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
32GB Transcend SSD (system)
1.5TB Samsung HDD (storage)
Logitech Harmony 650
4GB Kingston RAM

SW:
Windows 7 HP 64bit
EventGhost (for managing XBMC always on top and autostart of scripts to fix MCE start button.)
SickBeard
Sabnzbd+
FileZilla FTP Server
Restart-on-crash (for the times XBMC freeze up on me)
uTorrent (not much used since I got Usenet)
I'm a XBMC newbie, but what I heart/read is, that it only under Windows 7 possible
to run HD Audio DTS Master/HD and/or True HD.
I'm not sure if this is possible under XBMCbuntu in comparison to Windows 7.
My setup is with analoge stereo speakers, so HD audio is not really needed.

It's possible I might just run XBMCbuntu to see if I can make it work.
Sorry for the off topic, what do you do to make restart on crash?
Everything you have listed is possible with Linux.. I think your biggest issue will be ati graphics - ati's Linux drivers have always sucked (this may have changed but I wouldn't count on it) and ati video decoding isn't as feature rich or stable and nvidias offerings.

Anyways for FTP you can use the ssftp server that is built into the openssh server program. There is also vsftpd, but why install extra programs when openssh does the same (plus openssh enables remote terminal access which is used a lot).

Couch potato, sick beard and headphones (plus sabnzbd) all work fine under Linux.

For torrents I use rtorrent with rutorrent. Its very utorrent-ish and I found it to be the best client in terms of stability and features, even if it is a bit tricky to install. There are other clients such as transmission, deluge and qbitorrent.

My htpc boots directly into xbmc in such a fashion that if xbmc crashes or I exit xbmc it starts xbmc automatically... there is no desktop. Eventghost isnt really needed with Linux as its easy to automate with scripts. I can post some links when I get home if you wish..

You can keep all your settings and database by transferring your xbmc user data folder to its respective place in xbmc-linux.

Linux can be tricky to setup, especially if you've never used it and want a minimal setup like mine, but there are loads of guides/wiki's/forums out there to help you out and in my opinion Linux is better suited to being used for appliance-like computers.
I'm quite comfortable in Linux, so setting up scripts and software do not bother me.

My biggest concerns are remote control and database setup.
Also as you mentioned AMD (former ATI) have not always had the best Linux support.

For the remote setup I know there are several guides, so I expect that to be somewhat simple to handle.

I guess I just have to get my hands dirty this weekend, and set up Linux on a USB stick to try it out.

I think I will try XBMCbuntu og maybe even OpenElec, but I'm not sure I can set up all the extra software on OpenElec.

@achaw:
I use this software: http://w-shadow.com/blog/2009/03/04/restart-on-crash/
For my setup it will kill and restart XBMC if it is unresponsive for 60seconds.
Instructions on howto install ATI Catalyst Drivers from Terminal here;

http://www.techlw.com/2012/04/install-at...rs-on.html or this one

http://askubuntu.com/questions/74171/is-...-in-ubuntu
I'd stick with xbmcbuntu if you want to install extra software, I've read its complicated to do in openelec. I think that mce remotes work out of the box with xbmcbuntu, even if they don't they're not that hard to configure as long as the receiver is detected by Linux. As for the database you can export it then import it into your new install or just copy across your user data directory and keep all settings/sources/addons etc...

I've seen a xvba branch of xbmc on these forums which is tailored to amd video cards, may be worth checking it out...

This is a comprehensive guide to setting up a remote
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104541
(2012-04-26, 23:03)Maelu Wrote: I'm quite comfortable in Linux, so setting up scripts and software do not bother me.

My biggest concerns are remote control and database setup.
Also as you mentioned AMD (former ATI) have not always had the best Linux support.

For the remote setup I know there are several guides, so I expect that to be somewhat simple to handle.

I guess I just have to get my hands dirty this weekend, and set up Linux on a USB stick to try it out.

I think I will try XBMCbuntu og maybe even OpenElec, but I'm not sure I can set up all the extra software on OpenElec.

@achaw:
I use this software: http://w-shadow.com/blog/2009/03/04/restart-on-crash/
For my setup it will kill and restart XBMC if it is unresponsive for 60seconds.

Thanx
Hmmm.. So If I were to build a A6 3500 machine and wanted the best sound, would it be best to stay in windows?
I was hoping to have it as close to a set top box as possible ( Booting right to xbmc using xmcbunu).

Is it safer to just use windows then for audio output and AMD drivers? How much slower is it to direct boot to xbmc in windows then in xbmcbuntu?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change platform from Windows 7 to XBMCbuntu0