Control multiple XMBCs from one remote
The Android XBMC remote application is awesome. However I have multiple computers in my house, and I would like to be able to control them all simultaneously from my phone. e.g. be able to play music utilizing all speakers throughout the house. I wonder if this is a simple option that could be added to the XBMC app, to maintain connections to > 1 XBMC server, and be able to send commands to all connected XBMC instances at the same time?

Thanks!
Regardless of the kind of remote you're using i think this would rather be something that should be handled by XBMC than by the remote.
You'll run into tons of sync issues otherwise.
Imagine you're playing some music on 3 machines simultaneously, and hit pause on one of the machines keyboards. Now you hit play / pause on the remote. The paused machine would start playback, the other two would pause. And you'd be horribly out of sync.
And thats just one of many scenarios i can think of where things might go wrong.

IMHO the best way to achieve something like this would be some master-slave mode where one XBMC controls (or streams to) all other instances, and your remote only controls the master. But as far as i know there are no plans for something like this so far.
I think I read sometime ago in this forum about an addon to do exactly that. The remote "solution" will not work most of the time, the different machines will take a slightly different time to start the music, so it will be slightly unsynched and that sounds awful. Just try in your computer to play 2 mp3 (or videos) at the same time with VLC (you must enable the option of running multiple instances) and you will hear the problem.
You are both right, I tested using two android phones as xbmc remotes connected to two different xbmc pcs in the same room, and pressing 'play' on both phones at the same time results in one pc playing the song just before the other (the faster pc plays slightly quicker than the slower one). I found that it was in fact pretty easy to get them in sync by just pressing play with a small delay on each phone, however this is clearly unreliable. pko66 if you remember anything else about where to get that addon, i'd be interested to try it, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Control multiple XMBCs from one remote0