OS X Simultaneous OS X and XBMC upgrade
I knew that it wasn't a good idea to begin with, but I was in one of my tinkering moods and, well, did it.

My setup:

Mac Mini (2.4 C2D) running XBMC
HP Proliant Microserver running FreeNAS 7 serving files using SMB

Everything was running 110% using 10.6.x (whatever the latest was) and XBMC 10.1. Then I got a bee in my bonnet to upgrade the Mac Mini to 10.7. The upgrade went smooth, no problems there. Then, I remembered reading that there is a new version of XBMC and thought I should do this at the same time too, cos who knows when I will next have time to tinker with the stuff.

Read the upgrade wiki, and some guide off this forum, which, in a nutshell, said that if I am not using MySQL, it's a simple install over the existing version. Did just that. I did have an uneasy feeling at the back of my head which made me back up my library (I got a sizable amount of stuff scraped) beforehand.

Rebooted the Mac for good measure, and XBMC started up, splashscreen telling me it's Eden, although it was still using Neon (from the reading, I was expecting the new Confluence). Was happy to see that the Weather was working again - it just stopped a while ago on Dharma.

Unfortunately, the shiny new feeling was short lived, as Eden crashed randomly and repeatedly, even after a couple restarts (of XBMC) and reboots (of the Mac). I then tried a clean install (deleted the XBMC and the user directory), with the same result. Eventually, I gave up, reinstalled Dharma, which also behaved oddly for a while, with the sound dropping out after starting and then stopping a file, but seems to have sorted itself out now.

Unfortunately I forgot to keep any crash logs at the time.

My question (finally):

If everything is working perfectly with Dharma, are there any compelling reasons for me to pursue this upgrade, tinker with nightly builds (I understand that AFP is now an option), and try and get Eden to be stable? Am I missing any new features or anything of the sort?

Obligatory thanks for producing this kickass piece of software.

Cheers,

Vlad

The updates themselves shouldn't be an issue. I'm running a C2D MBP and 10.7 with XBMC v11, and everything is fine for me. We'll need to see debug logs to see why things are wonky in your situation, but I would say that this isn't typical behavior.
My advice is to go with Eden but leave MySQL alone at least until you are sure everything is working fine.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simultaneous OS X and XBMC upgrade0