Skin causing huge memory leak!
Ok I've tried on 5 different boxes now, with 3 different sets of media.. on two of the machines I used clones of Metropolis from git and on 3 I used the passion repo.. I've tried installing the watchlist script as well, and nothing seems to reproduce this issue.

If possible, revert back to a default configuration like Stoli suggested and see if you can't figure out what particular thing about your setup is causing the problem.

I'll try again tomorrow with Ubuntu 12.04.
Just to add to jingai's findings, I left it up and running overnight on my office pc and RAM stayed around 80MB and CPU is at 0-2% even with RSS running.
-stoli-
Just tried on 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04, same results. Sorry guys, not sure what else to try now.
I'm just going to chalk this up to something specific to my setup then, most likely something with X or xorg.conf settings possibly. I've gone ahead and switched my login session on the box to the xbmc session instead of the full user desktop and everything seems fine. I do pretty much everything via ssh anyway, so not a big deal. Thanks for looking into it.
Sorry we couldn't be of more help. If you ever figure out what it is, let us know.
I've found similar behavior with the Transparency skin in XBMC 11 (not sure if it was happening in 10 or not) in Windows 7 64-bit on an AMD A4-3400 using the on chip graphics.

I launch Windows Media Center (settle down - I just use it for the better Netflix UI! Tongue) using a simple script I wrote and put in favourites.xml for easy access. The code I use is as follows:

<favourites>
<favourite name="Netflix"> System.Exec(c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe)</favourite>
</favourites>

When I do the XBMC.exe process memory usage begins to balloon at a rate of about 1 MB/second until my HTPC runs our of available memory and XBMC crashes with the DBGHELP.dll error ID 8 message.

I found this thread when I began researching culprits, and sure enough if I switch to the default Confluence skin the problem disappears, and XBMC sits in the background at a rock solid 80MB's of memory usage. It's only when using the Transparency skin that the memory leak happens.

Perhaps what we are seeing is a problem with the XBMC 11 and third-party skins and not any one skin - possibly based on hardware or certain programs running concurrently while XBMC with a third-party skin runs?
@BigP - can you try the same process with Metropolis and see if it reproduces the memory leak?
-stoli-
(2012-04-27, 18:59)stoli Wrote: @BigP - can you try the same process with Metropolis and see if it reproduces the memory leak?

Interestingly enough, upon downloading and using Metropolis there is no memory leak like I saw with Transparency. So in pursuit of science I decided to uninstall and re-install the Transparency skin (using the add-ons uninstall interface) to see if that changed anything but the leak still occurs with it.

Strange, strange, strange.

Found something new while trying a couple things. If I simply alt+tab out of XBMC and manually launch MCE - no leak occurs. It's only when I use my favourites script that the problem occurs.
I know that this is an old thread, but I was experiencing the same problems with the memory leak when using the Transparency skin on XBMC Eden in Windows 7.

If I minimized or moved focus away from XBMC to my Windows desktop I could watch XBMC in the Windows task manager and see the memory usage rise every few seconds until eventually I received the following error:

LoadLibrary 'DBGHELP.DLL' failed with error id 8

I noticed that this was only happening if XBMC was on the 'Home' screen when minimized. If I was in the 'Settings' screen for example there was no memory leak.

Looking at the home screen I could see that the current weather visualisation in the top right corner was always moving so I thought I would try removing that to see if it was the cause of the memory leak. Unfortunately I couldn't find an easy way to remove it and had to resort to commenting some lines out one of the XML files, but once I managed to remove the weather visualisation from my Home screen the memory leak was gone Big Grin

Note: Before altering and XML files please ensure that you back them up first!

I commented out a large block of code using <!-- and --> in the following XML file:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.transparency\720p\Includes_Home.xml

<!-- COMMENT OUT EVERYTHING FROM HERE
<include name="Home_Top_Weather_Icon">
<control type="group">
<include>Window_OpenClose_Right_Panel_Animation</include>
<include condition="Skin.HasSetting(Animate_Home_Weather_Icon)">Home_Weather_Icon_Top</include>
<include condition="!Skin.HasSetting(Animate_Home_Weather_Icon)">Home_Animated_Weather_Icon_Top</include>
<control type="label">
<description>Conditions Label</description>
<posx>1139</posx>
<posy>52</posy>
<width>172</width>
<height>72</height>
<label>$INFO[Weather.Temperature]</label>
<align>center</align>
<aligny>center</aligny>
<font>font-25</font>
<shadowcolor>black</shadowcolor>
</control>
</control>
</include>
<include name="Home_Animated_Weather_Icon_Top">
<control type="multiimage">
<description>Top Weather image</description>
<posx>1192</posx>
<posy>50</posy>
<width>72</width>
<height>72</height>
<imagepath>weather/$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Current.FanartCode)]</imagepath>
<timeperimage>100</timeperimage>
<randomize>false</randomize>
<fadetime>0</fadetime>
<colordiffuse>BFFFFFFF</colordiffuse>
</control>
</include>
<include name="Home_Weather_Icon_Top">
<control type="image">
<description>Top Weather image</description>
<posx>1192</posx>
<posy>50</posy>
<width>72</width>
<height>72</height>
<texture>$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Current.ConditionIcon)]</texture>
<colordiffuse>BFFFFFFF</colordiffuse>
</control>
</include>
<include name="WeatherInfo">
<control type="group">
<posx>250</posx>
<posy>490</posy>
<visible>Container(5040).HasFocus(10) + ![Player.HasVideo + !Skin.HasSetting(homepageVideoinfo)] + ![Player.HasAudio + !Skin.HasSetting(homepageMusicinfo)]</visible>
<include>HomeInfoAnimation</include>
<animation effect="slide" end="0,-68" time="0" condition="Skin.HasSetting(HorizontalHomeMenu)">Conditional</animation>
<include condition="Skin.HasSetting(HateTransparency)">T-Gradient1</include>
<control type="image">
<description>gradient</description>
<posx>430</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>600</width>
<height>150</height>
<texture border="2">gradient.png</texture>
</control>
<include condition="Skin.HasSetting(Animate_Home_Weather_Icon)">Home_Weather_Icon</include>
<include condition="!Skin.HasSetting(Animate_Home_Weather_Icon)">Home_Animated_Weather_Icon</include>
<control type="label">
<description>Weather label</description>
<posx>875</posx>
<posy>15</posy>
<height>30</height>
<width>770</width>
<label>$LOCALIZE[12600]:</label>
<align>right</align>
<aligny>center</aligny>
<font>font-30</font>
<textcolor>blue</textcolor>
</control>
<control type="label">
<description>location label</description>
<posx>875</posx>
<posy>60</posy>
<height>30</height>
<width>770</width>
<label>$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Location)]</label>
<align>right</align>
<aligny>center</aligny>
<font>font-23</font>
</control>
<control type="label">
<description>Conditions Label</description>
<posx>875</posx>
<posy>85</posy>
<height>30</height>
<width>770</width>
<label>$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Current.Condition)]</label>
<align>right</align>
<aligny>center</aligny>
<font>font-23</font>
</control>
<control type="label">
<description>Temp Label</description>
<posx>875</posx>
<posy>110</posy>
<height>30</height>
<width>770</width>
<label>$INFO[Weather.Temperature]</label>
<align>right</align>
<aligny>center</aligny>
<font>font-23</font>
</control>
</control>
</include>
<include name="Home_Animated_Weather_Icon">
<control type="multiimage">
<description>Weather image</description>
<posx>885</posx>
<posy>7</posy>
<width>136</width>
<height>136</height>
<imagepath>weather/$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Current.FanartCode)]</imagepath>
<timeperimage>100</timeperimage>
<randomize>false</randomize>
<fadetime>0</fadetime>
</control>
</include>
<include name="Home_Weather_Icon">
<control type="image">
<description>Weather image</description>
<posx>885</posx>
<posy>7</posy>
<width>136</width>
<height>136</height>
<texture>$INFO[Window(Weather).Property(Current.ConditionIcon)]</texture>
</control>
</include>
COMMENTED OUT EVERYTHING TO HERE -->

This fix is obviously only for the Transparency skin, but it may be a pointer for you if you are experiencing similar problems with other skins.

If anyone can advise me of an easier way of removing the weather visualisation from the home screen without having to edit the XML I would be grateful?

Hope this helps someone.

Wow, thanks! Workaround confirmed with my setup! I had all but given up hope of figuring this out!

One thing, I think your got a little dyslexic with the directory as it differed on mine. I think the path is actually as as follows: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.transparency\720p\Includes_Home.xml

(2012-08-29, 15:03)BigP Wrote: Wow, thanks! Workaround confirmed with my setup! I had all but given up hope of figuring this out!

One thing, I think your got a little dyslexic with the directory as it differed on mine. I think the path is actually as as follows: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\skin.transparency\720p\Includes_Home.xml

Glad it worked for you too BigP.

I've corrected the path in my post above.. my HTPC automatically logs on as user XBMC and I'm easily confused Wink
Wink 
(2012-08-29, 15:17)th0msk Wrote: I've corrected the path in my post above.. my HTPC automatically logs on as user XBMC and I'm easily confused Wink

Ha! You're easily confused? Seeing as how you identified and fixed a problem everyone here could not and then bothered to spend the time posting said fix, I think you win the internet today! Big Grin This should get posted to the transparency thread or submitted as a bug to the xbmc team - I'd guess this is a problem less with transparency and more with the XBMC's implementation of the weather addon. I'll leave the honor to you since you discovered it, however if you don't want to I can.
Good thinking BigP. I have posted the details on the Transparency thread here .

Hopefully someone will be able to identify and fix the root cause of the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin causing huge memory leak!0