old question but no solution: cannot run smart playlist in XBMC 11
Hi all,

I know my question is very old and there are many answers and debates in many forums about the smart playlist in XBMC 11 - Eden.I tried all the suggestions but no use.

Here, I describe the process of making smart playlist again but it does not run:

I have different folders storing hd films in my local hard drives and want to create smart playlists for hd films which will be put on the Home Menu.
I followed the guidance to create smart playlists as usual (in the video - playlists - new smart playlists) and here is the content of this created file stored in C:\Documents and Settings\tungnt\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\playlists\video:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="musicvideos">
<name>video music</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="contains">E:\musicvideo\</rule>
</smartplaylist>

After creating the smart playlist, I click on it in xbmc and it is opened but blank.

Can someone please help me. I tried all the skins but no use.

Thank in advance

Tung
I've just tried your smart playlist (with a few edits to suit my system) and it worked fine.

If you look in a debug log XBMC will tell you what query it is running. In my log I see:

Code:
select * from movieview WHERE (strPath LIKE '%H:\XBMC\video\%')

This is a bit different to what you'll see because I had to change the path and I had to modify the playlist to set the type to "movies" since I don't have any music videos. You could try using something like SQLLiteBrowser to run the query manually and see what happens.
Hi Jhsrennie,

Thank for your help but because I am a newbie to programming, I do not understand all. Could you guide me more detailed and more simple, please? If possible, please post the content of your smart playlist for "path".
I tried to reset the new smart playlist as follow but still failed:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>hd movie</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="is">E:\video\</rule>
</smartplaylist>

Here is the part of my debug file:
11:42:59 T:3896 WARNING: XFILE::CFactoryDirectory::Create - Unsupported protocol(newsmartplaylist) in newsmartplaylist://
11:42:59 T:3896 WARNING: XFILE::CFileFactory::CreateLoader - Unsupported protocol(newsmartplaylist) in newsmartplaylist://movie.tbn/
11:42:59 T:3896 DEBUG: Thread Background Loader 3896 terminating
11:42:59 T:3796 DEBUG: CApplication:TonguerocessMouse: trying mouse action leftclick
11:42:59 T:3796 DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (special://profile/playlists/video/hd movie.xsp)
11:42:59 T:3796 DEBUG: ParentPath = [special://videoplaylists/]
11:42:59 T:3796 DEBUG: CVideoDatabase::RunQuery took 1 ms for 0 items query: select * from movieview WHERE (strPath LIKE 'E:\musicvideo\')

By the way, at the row: "rule field", I also tried to change "is" to "contain" or "startwith" but not worked.

Can you spend some times to help me?

Thank a lot

Tung

Your original smartplaylist was fine. The Debug Log indicates you're using a smartplaylist with "is" rather than "contains".

Always edit smartplaylists using the GUI. Don't edit by hand.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Jhsrennie,

Yes, I am using GUI to edit smartplaylists but never run them successfully. Do you have any suggestions for me, i.e: change the version of XBMC or configure somethings?

Thank

Tung
JMarshall:

In XBMC 10.1 I used smart playlist with "starts with" rather than "contains".
Do I need to use "contains" now? Then, where do I set the playlist to show under the home menu?
Low Boost,

Which skin are you using? If original confluence, you can not show the playlist under the home menu. You should use mod confluence or other skins, then in the System - Setting - skin, you will find the Customize home menu or something like that, where you can show the playlist in home menu. If you are not sure about this, search "how to show playlist in home menu" + youtube, you will have a detailed instruction video.

By the way, can you send me the content of your playlist? I can not run playlist in my xbmc.

Thank

Tung
OK - Just I thought. Same as in Dharma.

When you create the Smart Playlist, make sure you select "Path" and "Starts With".
I had the same issue back with Dharma. Once I set it to Path/Starts With and select target folder it works.

I will send you a PM when I get home later tonight.
any other person has solution? please help.

Thank

Tung
Again, get the Debug Log. It shows exactly what the query is, which will reveal the issue once you look in the db.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

JMarshall:

Sorry, I don't get your point. Because I am neither a developer nor programmer, I have no idea on programming language. Though, I read the debug log but don't understand what it means. Is it possible to post the whole content of debug file on here for your review?

Thank

Tung
Then post it here so that we can interpret it, along with _exactly_ how your files/paths are setup.

JMarshall:

Oop, I found that due to the too long content of xbmc.log, I cannot post here. Therefore, I upload to this address: http://www.mediafire.com/?82nr3vyg4orh4s7

I would draw your attention that using GUI, I also tried to change smart playlist from "is" to "contain" and then "start with" but all failed to run smart playlist

Thank you

Tung
Use pastebin.com or xbmclogs.com please.

JMarshall:

I just posted my xbmc.log onto here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2172

Please help

Thank

Tung

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
old question but no solution: cannot run smart playlist in XBMC 110