Anyone using Crystal HD card want to give me pros & cons?
Ned Scott Wrote:Look into installing Crystalbuntu. I've got both ATV1 and ATV2, and with BCHD and Crystalbuntu, there's nothing the ATV2 can do better than the ATV1 (as far as XBMC goes).

I still like both devices, though. ATV1s will eventually dry up, too.

Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:Good deal, glad you are making progress. Keep me updated.

Ok after 3 days of using ATV1 w/ Crystal HD card BCM70015 and Eden Beta 3, everything looks good. Both 720p and 1080p files are playing without any issues, I'll get the hiccup at the start of the video but, after that it will sail through.
My initial problem was solved by restarting all; router, switch, and NAS.

Ned Scott, I am looking into on how to install Crystalbutnu (on Sam's Website) and run it through USB drive. But, I am just not clear on how it exactly works with original OS of ATV1? when I reboot the ATV1, will it go straight into XBMC using Crysatalbutnu software from USB stick or still go through ATV1 frontrow to XBMC? so, still trying to figure things out!

Thanks for all your help!
~ATV420~
-AppleTV1
-Crystal HD Card 70015 w/ r174 drivers
-EDEN Beta RC2
-SMB server
If you boot it from USB then it will boot directly Linux and it will go straight to XBMC.
There's two options, one is to run it from a USB stick, the other is to install it to the HDD which will erase the original OS. Since you are just trying it out I would recommend installing it to a USB stick and running it off there. When you boot with the USB stick inside then it will boot into linux and start XBMC up automatically. To go back to the original ATV OS you just remove the stick and reboot.
Krieg Wrote:If you boot it from USB then it will boot directly Linux and it will go straight to XBMC.

Ned Scott Wrote:There's two options, one is to run it from a USB stick, the other is to install it to the HDD which will erase the original OS. Since you are just trying it out I would recommend installing it to a USB stick and running it off there. When you boot with the USB stick inside then it will boot into linux and start XBMC up automatically. To go back to the original ATV OS you just remove the stick and reboot.

Thanks for all your help guys! It seems that best option would be to go with USB stick.
SmileSmileSmile
~ATV420~
-AppleTV1
-Crystal HD Card 70015 w/ r174 drivers
-EDEN Beta RC2
-SMB server
Anyone hear of a sale on the Broadcom card coming soon?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone using Crystal HD card want to give me pros & cons?0