Linux "Unredirect fullscreen window" and Ubuntu 12.04
I followed the steps here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._with_XBMC.

This has worked fine in Ubuntu 11.10, but in Ubuntu 12.04 this suddenly makes Compiz crash on system reboot/startup. It works while the computer is running (if I change the setting after Unity and Compiz is started), but not if I reboot. If I reboot, I have to use ccsm (without any Compiz or Unity) to get any menus or borders at all again.

Anyone else have experienced this? Any solution? Is jitter-free XBMC still only possible using Unredirect fullscreen window or disabling Visual effects?

Thanks in advance!
I would never use any OpenGL compositing manager when running XMBC. I did a test with two very trivial OpenGL applications just drawing primitive graphics like squares or circles. As soon as launched the second both apps started to miss vertical refresh signals.
But then this must be true for every OpenGL application. Makes no sense OpenGL would be useless with new Ubuntu version just because the normal UI is powered using OpenGL?

I had no issues in Ubuntu 11.10 and unredirect fullscreen though, so I would be happy if that worked.

But thanks for the input, I'll consider just disabling composite.
(2012-04-28, 09:44)junk Wrote: But then this must be true for every OpenGL application. Makes no sense OpenGL would be useless with new Ubuntu version just because the normal UI is powered using OpenGL?

I had no issues in Ubuntu 11.10 and unredirect fullscreen though, so I would be happy if that worked.

But thanks for the input, I'll consider just disabling composite.

It depends on what you expect from your GL application and of course the hardware you use. The average hw used for HTPCs can't cope with this very well. I mean in terms of dropped frames. ATI fusion can't even cope with an invisible GL window just used to drive the video reference clock (this is why we implemented a work around for ati).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Unredirect fullscreen window" and Ubuntu 12.040