Planet Earth Blu Ray playback problem
Hi,

i have just ripped the "Planet Earth" Blu ray box set to my NAS, when i try to play it on my MacBook pro running Eden using Aeon skin, i can hear the sound but i get a totally black video screen. Actually when selecting play, XBMC doesn't go into fullscreen playback, it still displays the episode info screen with video window

I have over 100 other Blu rays ripped which all play perfectly, i am ripping the blu rays with MakeMKV, the only thing that i can see that is a little funny is that XBMC identifies the files as WMVHD.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a very basic XBMC user, still trying to get to grips with the program.

Cheers

Steve
Try running MediaInfo (wiki) on the rip and tell us what it says. I'm thinking it might be a VC-1 video codec, though that should play with software decoding.

EDIT: A quick google for "planet earth VC-1" shows that other people have issues with some (but not all) Planet Earth disc rips due to an interlaced version of VC-1, which I guess is a real pain in the butt to playback correctly on any player. ( http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4045 )
Hi Ned,

Thanks for the help, you were correct, mediainfo identifies the video as interlaced.

Is there anyway of getting XBMC to play it? As standard Blu ray players play it, from a n00b perspective i sort of expected XBMC to be able play it.

I have found that i have another disc that is also interlaced, The 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert, so i assume there could be quite a few out there.

VLC is able to play both rips.
try the latest nightly build if that makes things better (it has a new ffmpeg version)...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz,

Thanks for the info, i downloaded and installed the latest nightly build.

Now i can sort of see the image, but it looks like very bad digital TV with massive picture breakup.

At least it looks like things may improve in the future.

One thing i must admit to is that i don't know much about the video playback settings, so potentially i may be able to get better performance, at the moment it is totally unwatchable.

Cheers

Steve
post the mediainfo output to pastebin.com and put the link here.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hi Memphiz,

Sorry for the delay

here is the media info link..

http://pastebin.com/Hu6mgxSi

Cheers

Steve
Yep based on that info it is indeed WMV/VC1. I would try to rip the blueray with h.264 codec - these work much better i guess.
Sorry for the dumb question, but how do i select which codec, when i'm in MKV there are no options i can see.

Can i convert the MKV WMV to h.264??
see the image on step 4 where it states "video codec" from here when using handbrake:

http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvdrip/...-handbrake

iirc makemkv doesn't do any transcoding but only sticks the stream with its codec into the mkv container.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Planet Earth Blu Ray playback problem0