APPLE TV 1 VS 2ND GEN?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
rumaan Offline
On the Apple tv 1 do the addons on xbmc run slower than the apple tv 2?

or are both of them the same speed wise??

Thanks
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
Apple TV 1 with a Broadcom Crystal HD card will run faster for everything than the Apple TV 2. Apple TV 1 is basically a small computer, while the Apple TV 2 is based on iPhone hardware. So if you can find a used ATV1 and aren't afraid of doing the Broadcom mod, I'd do that (I use one as my main HTPC right now). I still love the ATV2, but ATV1+BCHD is a great set-up for the same price.

Various other pros and cons. Search the forums for a bunch of threads on it. Big thing is if you want Netflix, ATV1 can't do Netflix.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Add-on:YouTube]] = Add-on:YouTube, [[Adding videos to the library]] = Adding videos to the library, [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
rumaan Offline
(2012-04-28 19:08)Ned Scott Wrote:  Apple TV 1 with a Broadcom Crystal HD card will run faster for everything than the Apple TV 2. Apple TV 1 is basically a small computer, while the Apple TV 2 is based on iPhone hardware. So if you can find a used ATV1 and aren't afraid of doing the Broadcom mod, I'd do that (I use one as my main HTPC right now). I still love the ATV2, but ATV1+BCHD is a great set-up for the same price.

Various other pros and cons. Search the forums for a bunch of threads on it. Big thing is if you want Netflix, ATV1 can't do Netflix.

Thanks!
find quote