Why no back to home screen from movies/tv series?
Just discovered this skin, and I have to say it's freaking amazing. Big Grin

There is one thing that bugs the hell out of me though; that going into Movies or TV Series and then pressing back does not actually bring you back, but to a new menu.

I tried to search the forums, and this seems to be by design. But I can't really find why. Jeroen stated "This will not be changed as the cons outweigh the pros imo.", but I can't find what those pros and cons are.

The way other skins generally behave is that Movies and TV Series have the same behaviour as any other entry (Back gets you the previous page), and to get to the lower levels of the video structure you have to use the Video entry. I've always found that to be a good compromise between the common usage, and still having access to everything when you really need it.

Can anyone shed some light on what the advantage of reFocus behaviour is?
Hi,
For me personally this option carries both benefits and drawbacks.

The main benefits for me are the WAF and overall simplicity of use.

For example:
If I wish to watch a movie, I quite rightly, select movies...this is normal bahaviour and allows to consistantly access my movie items without ever having to return to the home screen.

If (when browsing the library) I decide i want to select a specific genre or year etc etc, I need only press "back" and this option is presented to me and will relist the library in that specific format.

This is simple for everyone (in my house) to understand and allows us to skip back and forth between the options for genre, year, actor etc and our normal movie view very easily.

Same goes for tv series.

As for disadvantages, sometimes I'd like to get back to the home screen faster when I have selected the incorrect item from the home screen... But as this is not as common I think I tend to agree that the advantages of the menu structure this way outweigh the negatives.

I hope thats useful,
Pat~
Cant an option be put in place to chose either way, I personally would prefer it to go straight back to the menu, as I dont use anything other than the normal menu, not file mode menu.
(2012-04-30, 02:10)MrLobster Wrote: Cant an option be put in place to chose either way, I personally would prefer it to go straight back to the menu, as I dont use anything other than the normal menu, not file mode menu.

+1
What about reading the FAQ?
Is very simple to mode the skin to do that. Just open HomeSubMenu.xml file from 720p folder, go to line 429 and add return so that line will look like this
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles,return)</onclick>
and for tvshows go to line 494 and modify it to look like this
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</onclick>
That's it.
PS: this is valid only for 0.9.5.
reFocus - Simply the best
(2012-04-30, 08:11)butchabay Wrote: What about reading the FAQ?

I'm sure he did, the FAQ just says he won't change it, but to me in keeping with the style of the skin, i.e. simplicity and elehannce, there should be an option to allow the user to set so that 'back' does indeed go back to the main menu. Anyway I'll mod it myself for now, thanks.
(2012-04-30, 08:53)Galefury Wrote: Is very simple to mode the skin to do that. Just open HomeSubMenu.xml file from 720p folder, go to line 429 and add return so that line will look like this
Code:
and for tvshows go to line 494 and modify it to look like this
Code:
That's it.
PS: this is valid only for 0.9.5.

Hi,

I've tried this and for some reason it's not working for me

Help
Same problem here.

Hope somebody could help us
Then you are doing something wrong because I just tried it and works as it should. HERE is my file.
There are two files in play here, depending on if you have submenus activated or not. I don't remember the name of the other file, but I think it is called HomeMenu.xml (no "sub").
(2012-06-04, 08:08)Galefury Wrote: Then you are doing something wrong because I just tried it and works as it should. HERE is my file.

Many thanks for your reply - I have just tried your file and i'm afraid this still isn't working. Is this because I run XBMC on a ATV 2?

Thanks in advance

That's because you don't use any submenus and thus you have to modify other file.
(2012-06-04, 08:08)Galefury Wrote: Then you are doing something wrong because I just tried it and works as it should. HERE is my file.

Got a custom home menu, but wil try your xml file en add it to my file. Wil post the result later this week
Those who disabled the submenus for movies and tvshows need to modify another file: HomeSubMenu.xml. Go to line 429 and modify it to look like this
Code:
and then go to line 494 and modify it to look like this
Code:
. Tested on 0.9.5. It may work on GIT version too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why no back to home screen from movies/tv series?0