Linux Slow/Un-useable after upgrade to 12.04
Good Day All - I think I'm trying to beat a dead horse getting Eden to work on my PC, but perhaps someone can point me in a new direction...I have a small Shuttle XPC/K45 running Ubuntu 10.04 which has an embedded Intel 82945g/GX video card. I take it thats the 945G Series. I have a VGA connection to my TV which works fine after a few mishaps of find the refresh rate. At first I just installed Eden per the Ubuntu install and tested it. It works except the mouse control is VERY slow. When I tried to play a video the audio was OK, but the frame rate was way slow. Glxinfo shows Version 1.2 server and 1.4 client capable. Not sure if that is adequate..

I found this guide and tried to use it to add a few of the libraries. The PPA's added fine, but apt complained that some libraries were not found...libbluray1 and i965-va-driver among them,....but it found others....libcec.

My question is - Is is possible to tweak this card to run videos smoothly? I dont think the PC could support a heavy PCI NVidia card as the power supply is only 100 Watts. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-Zocko
What graphics card did you say you had? Have you tried using the "additional drivers" app in Ubuntu to make sure your drivers are up to date?
spadge_2356: I had the exact same problem as you. It seems that after the 12.04 update, compiz and pulseaudio are consuming a LOT more CPU power when running XBMC on top of the desktop. And I assume my now 100% CPU usage is the source of the lagging.

However, when I tried logging in to an XBMC-only session from lightdm (the login screen), everything worked. CPU usage was way down, and it even seems videos are smoother than before the 12.04 update.

Maybe this helps
(2012-05-10, 14:42)Yngvefaen Wrote: However, when I tried logging in to an XBMC-only session from lightdm (the login screen), everything worked. CPU usage was way down, and it even seems videos are smoother than before the 12.04 update.

Thanks Yngvefaen, I'll keep it in mind if I decide to upgrade back to 12.04.

Someone in the Ubuntu forums told me this week that the bug reports on launchpad regarding the Nvidia 295.x drivers have been picked up and it has already been rectified in Ubuntu 12.10, it's just a matter of when the fix is distributed to 12.04

Apparently you can uninstall the proprietary Nvidia drivers and fall back to the open source Noveau drivers instead which seems to work fine with Compiz, Metacity 3D effects, enabled etc. Fingers crossed for that fix in a future update!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow/Un-useable after upgrade to 12.040