Help - can't boot, black screen, "you need to load the kernel first"
Hi all,

My XBMC Live install won't boot. It is on a 2.5" Sata disk in a USB enclosure, connected to my HP Microserver via a USB cable.

It boots as far as the OS "selection" screen, where it says things like "Ubuntu, Ubuntu recovery mode" etc, but I just don't press anything on that screen and XBMC normally boots, but it won't any more it just hangs at a black screen after this selection screen.

If I attach the disk to a laptop via usb, I see an error message when booting which says "Error: Can't load file, you need to load the kernel first"

I have used Gparted to check this disc recently, as I was getting the OS crashing whilst using XBMC with an "init bootarg" error which user Danz0l posted a fix about, i've managed to do this before and it fix my problem and boot XBMC fine, can anyone advise me please?

I guess one option is to somehow clone the drive, and buy a USB stick big enough to hold the installation, and blat the disk clone onto the USB stick - they seem to be more stable than an external hdd.......

Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
Hmm, ran another repair on it, and it booted. I don't know why, I think I will stop using this drive though, and get a big USB stick
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help - can't boot, black screen, "you need to load the kernel first"0