Linux [BUILD GUIDE]-[NAS][WIN7][OpenMediaVault v0.3] n00b friendly!
Lightbulb 
Under Construction

Just letting everyone know, I haven't given up hope, I haven't abandoned the project, I'm just trying to get this build guide perfect. Shouldn't be too long now!

Hi XBMC Forum,

This is a build thread that I'm starting to follow-on from my original thread 'Help a N00b'. I'll start off by saying that I'm not actually a n00b, I'm a Windows Systems Engineer by trade, however, for HTPC and XBMC related things, I consider myself one as I need my hand held and advice from wiser, more seasoned users. Tongue

I will be putting together a comprehensive build guide after my system is complete. The full guide will include;
  • NAS Build
  • OS Installation and Configuration (OpenMediaVault v0.3)
  • Networking/File Sharing with Windows 7 machines
  • .torrent automation
  • Connection to Home Theatre components; Apple TV, Xbox etc.

Please stand by as this is VERY much UNDER CONSTRUCTION - please subscribe to the thread if you'd like, to see the progress and give me tips on what I can further include to help this thread and build guide become a sticky thread and to also help new users to the HTPC world.

Cheers,

Tonka
Thinking about converting my old DELL desktop to a NAS/Ubuntu server so looking forward to this Smile
Linux Mint: XBMC PVR Xvba
HTPC: AMD Fusion A8-3870k. ASRock A75 Pro4-M. 4GB DDR3. Intel 320 SSD 40GB . Silverstone ML03
Well XtuX - I'm putting it all together tonight, so in 12-15 hours, I should be busy writing away and doing my part to ASSIST ALL THE USERS!!! Best Meme
Ok - Just letting the thread know, I'm writing the document today and should have it up ASAP.

Should I put it up as a downloadable .pdf file or plain text in a post?
I'd prefer plain text in a post personally.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-05-01, 00:53)tonka28 Wrote: Ok - Just letting the thread know, I'm writing the document today and should have it up ASAP.

Should I put it up as a downloadable .pdf file or plain text in a post?

Looking forward to this as I'm in the middle of a similar project. I'm still looking for a replacement for my windows home server. After MS pulled its duplication feature I gave up on it. I ran Amahi for a while and am in the midst of trying to build a FreeNAS replacement. I hope your write up discussion why you selected Ubuntu and what features you wanted (drive pooling, redundancy, etc) and what type of hardware you're using.
I'll do my best! PM me any specific information that you want me to touch on or cover in depth.
Hey everyone - just letting you know that I just got a suggestion for OpenMediaVault as the NAS OS - I'll be looking into this further, unfortunately this means that the build guide will be put on hold for the moment.

I'll be working as hard as I can to do this as quickly as I can as I know there's a few of you waiting to read this.
Putting together all my information is easy to read format is really hard! Confused
(2012-05-02, 06:29)tonka28 Wrote: Hey everyone - just letting you know that I just got a suggestion for OpenMediaVault as the NAS OS - I'll be looking into this further, unfortunately this means that the build guide will be put on hold for the moment.

I'll be working as hard as I can to do this as quickly as I can as I know there's a few of you waiting to read this.

Since you're looking at other platforms you might want to look at NAS4Free. It's the former FreeNAS project before it was bought and take out of opensource (I think). Much more reasonable hardware requirements then FreeNAS.

Good look with your research and report.
Nice. I use OMV 0.2.x.x right now for my NAS. Works great with the exception of a few plug-ins causing havoc by breaking the webgui like transmission and mysql. Hopefully once they get everything finalized, it will all be smoothed out. It's great to see a NAS guide here since a lot of people use them as the backbone of their XBMC setup. I really wish I had documentation like you are making when I was setting up. Probably would have saved me a lot of headache. Good luck!
Ok, this is a call to arms. I'm having MASSIVE problems with the torrent client living on my OMV box. I initially threw transmission on there. Only to get a Permission Denied error when I started to download a torrent. I then put on Deluge, only to find that the torrent file just hangs at Checking.

I have port 52391 open on my router and pointed at the server; 192.168.10.100.

The download preference is pointed to a SMB share that I've created through the OMV webUI that can be accessed over the network (tested).

Also, there's a section in the bottom right that's confusing me, it's where it says how much free space is in the selected download location, it simple says NaN GiB - I have no idea what that means.

I need this help from someone that has this torrent client installed as it's going to be a part of the build guide.

FYI - I ran through this tutorial; Install Deluge Server v1.2.3
HI guys, I've been looking pretty hard and I've found that the system I should've been using this whole time is FreeNAS. I'm about to go and re-install FreeNAS onto my NAS server and I'll re-write the build guide to suit. Sorry about this, it just seems that coming from my n00b state, OMV needed just a little too much tweaking to get right. I'll have all the new information up soon and I hope that you're still watching and waiting to see the guide once it's complete.

Thanks.
Smile sounds funny, if you couldn't handle debian, how you gonna manage FreeBSD ? I just saw your pm, installing torrent app on debian is super easy.

I don't wanna to be rude, but before building guide for others make sure that you have enough knowledge in this area.

P.S remember that with FreeNAS you can't expand pool ...
If your looking for noob friendly - WHS2011 is the way to go, everyone knows Windows and setting up the server is a peace of cake

Just check this out,

SS taken from a client computer running the remote management program "dashboard" that comes with WHS

Server doing backups on all my clients, serving media to 2 htpc's and on demand serving web pages for my projects at home and abroad

What I love is the lights out module which I currently got setup to wake the server at 6 in the moring, shut down again at 9 (breakfast entertainment), wake up again at 15.00 and shutdown at 23.59 every week day. Online 06.00 - 01.00 on holidays and weekends

All this made out of an old Athlon x64 dual core 2ghz, 4gb ddr ram a few controller cards and currently 5 x 2TB disks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUILD GUIDE]-[NAS][WIN7][OpenMediaVault v0.3] n00b friendly!0