Linux [BUILD GUIDE]-[NAS][WIN7][OpenMediaVault v0.3] n00b friendly!
Sweet tonka28..... FTW!
(2012-05-06, 18:47)Rauf27 Wrote: Smile sounds funny, if you couldn't handle debian, how you gonna manage FreeBSD ? I just saw your pm, installing torrent app on debian is super easy.

I don't wanna to be rude, but before building guide for others make sure that you have enough knowledge in this area.

P.S remember that with FreeNAS you can't expand pool ...

Rauf27 - I don't want to get negative on this forum because I'm trying to make this an environment that nurtures knowledge. I am a Windows Systems Engineer for an Australian Government Department. I am using the label n00b so that people, whomever they are, that are new to HTPC, NAS, XBMC whatever, that want to get in and get going can. It's a ground up install guide. I'm having a problem with an add-in, a plug-in, an addition to the OS. I know 40 year M$ veterans that have been stumped by plug-in issues.

Considering you're the one who suggested Deluge to me in the first place, I would've thought that you would have just simply helped, instead of making a negative comment.

I thank you for your previous assistance, however; I think that we can call it a day.
(2012-05-07, 01:51)tonka28 Wrote:
(2012-05-06, 18:47)Rauf27 Wrote: Smile sounds funny, if you couldn't handle debian, how you gonna manage FreeBSD ? I just saw your pm, installing torrent app on debian is super easy.

I don't wanna to be rude, but before building guide for others make sure that you have enough knowledge in this area.

P.S remember that with FreeNAS you can't expand pool ...

Rauf27 - I don't want to get negative on this forum because I'm trying to make this an environment that nurtures knowledge. I am a Windows Systems Engineer for an Australian Government Department. I am using the label n00b so that people, whomever they are, that are new to HTPC, NAS, XBMC whatever, that want to get in and get going can. It's a ground up install guide. I'm having a problem with an add-in, a plug-in, an addition to the OS. I know 40 year M$ veterans that have been stumped by plug-in issues.

Considering you're the one who suggested Deluge to me in the first place, I would've thought that you would have just simply helped, instead of making a negative comment.

I thank you for your previous assistance, however; I think that we can call it a day.

Did I refused to help you ?

You are jumping from one system to another trying to build something without troubleshooting problem. If you are the WSE then you should know that doesn't matter what you use you will always have an issue with it and without reading log files your build will be unsuccessful. This morning I found your question and then this post about moving to FreeNAS. Sorry but it doesn't sounds serious for me. I can pm you what I do for live, then you will understand my knowledge in this area Smile

Back to our topic, I am still open to help you build this guide but please make it clear for us what your are building - Ubuntu Server? Debian OMV? FreeBSD ? WHS ? Unraid ? Nexenta or may be Amahi ?

I think you are a little bit confused here, my suggestion for you is to build VMs and try various solutions. Choose one of these guys and go ahead with questions, suggestions and etc.

BTW if you are WSE, why you don't choose WHS + FlexRAID, SnapRAID etc ?

And sorry if I offended you.

I wrote a guide a while back for setting up a NAS / TV server / Music server for Ubuntu ->signature. Granted I didn't setup ZFS or any redundancy. I moved from FreeNas as it didn't offer me another flexibility, I wanted one PC to be my all in one server, not just a file/media server.

(2012-05-06, 18:47)Rauf27 Wrote: I don't wanna to be rude, but before building guide for others make sure that you have enough knowledge in this area.

Its a valid point. I don't claim to be an expert either I just documented what worked for me. If someone is willing to write a guide hopefully people with more knowledge can post feedback to improve the guide. I wish I could of found a guide when I was starting out.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-05-06, 08:41)tonka28 Wrote: HI guys, I've been looking pretty hard and I've found that the system I should've been using this whole time is FreeNAS. I'm about to go and re-install FreeNAS onto my NAS server and I'll re-write the build guide to suit. Sorry about this, it just seems that coming from my n00b state, OMV needed just a little too much tweaking to get right. I'll have all the new information up soon and I hope that you're still watching and waiting to see the guide once it's complete.

Thanks.

I just happened to see this linked on the OMV forums.. just wanted to say the level of fail here is hilarious. I'd question any "guide" you put up if you give up so quickly (especially when moving to an inferior product)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUILD GUIDE]-[NAS][WIN7][OpenMediaVault v0.3] n00b friendly!0