no audio on hdmi in xbmc
edited asound.config to pcm "hw:0,7" and now i have menu sounds from xbmc works but stil no audio from movies for god...... why is it so hard to get audio!
Post your settings from Settings > System > Audio (just press screenshot on that section and the file will be saved in the home directory).

Also post the output of the following commands:
Code:
# This shows what audio device you have
$ lspci | grep -i audio

# This lists the ALSA "plugs"
$ aplay -L

Quote:Linux is great but the sound system sucks big time (i see allot of sound problems topics here)

This is mostly because people are too lazy to search or because they simply must have menu audio or combination audio (both analog and digital out). Just unmuting the channels and selecting "hdmi (ALSA)" for both Audio Device and Passthrough Device has worked for me on every system I've used. XBMCbuntu even did that as part of the install process and I didn't touch a thing.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Sounds settings in System
http://postimage.org/image/6ukb9abep/

aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, ALC889 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1

Auido device
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
I had the same issue. I could list all of the hardware and use speaker-test etc. but still got an error when trying to playback a movie. Menu navigation was fine.

I turned on debug logging and started up a movie to give me the error and then turned off debug logging.

Reading xbmc.log from ./xbmc/temp showed me that XBMC could not get control of the HDMI output as "something" was already using it.

I removed the package "pulseaudio" and with the Audio output of XBMC set to HDMI with passthrough enabled as custom and set to plughw:0,3 all was good.

BUT I have no menuor Ubuntu sounds now but then again I'm not too bothered as this is an HTPC.

(2012-05-08, 20:53)duncang92 Wrote: I had the same issue. I could list all of the hardware and use speaker-test etc. but still got an error when trying to playback a movie. Menu navigation was fine.

I turned on debug logging and started up a movie to give me the error and then turned off debug logging.

Reading xbmc.log from ./xbmc/temp showed me that XBMC could not get control of the HDMI output as "something" was already using it.

I removed the package "pulseaudio" and with the Audio output of XBMC set to HDMI with passthrough enabled as custom and set to plughw:0,3 all was good.

BUT I have no menuor Ubuntu sounds now but then again I'm not too bothered as this is an HTPC.
dint worked i dont care if menu sounds do not work
And again i have sound in xbmcubuntu but no sound in xbmc. (only menu sound) so the problem is xbmc..
Putting defaults.pcm.device 0 and nothing else in .asoundrc in my home directory fixed all my HDMI sound issues for me in XBMC. After I created that file I rebooted and in XBMC I set it to use the default sound device.
(2012-05-08, 22:57)drivesoslow Wrote: Putting defaults.pcm.device 0 and nothing else in .asoundrc in my home directory fixed all my HDMI sound issues for me in XBMC. After I created that file I rebooted and in XBMC I set it to use the default sound device.

Gives me no sound in menu and movies.Sad xbmc restarted 2 times
try setting it as defaults.pcm.device 7 since your hdmi device is not 0 like mine. Also make sure you reboot after each change.

You may also try:

defaults.pcm.device 3

Also if this gives you menu sound but no movie sound uncheck DTS and AC3 passthrough in XBMC and see if you get sound then.
Your "aplay -L" output indicates that you have two "hdmi" plugs. Try testing the default one with:

Code:
$ speaker-test -D plug:hdmi

Also, just for good measure, make sure your user is a member of the "audio" group:

Code:
$ groups <user>

If "audio" isn't listed, let us know.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
(2012-05-08, 23:28)drivesoslow Wrote: try setting it as defaults.pcm.device 7 since your hdmi device is not 0 like mine. Also make sure you reboot after each change.

You may also try:

defaults.pcm.device 3

Also if this gives you menu sound but no movie sound uncheck DTS and AC3 passthrough in XBMC and see if you get sound then.

defaults.pcm.device 3 = not any sound
defaults.pcm.device 3 = menu sound in xbmc but no movie sound

xbmc is restart every time

(2012-05-09, 04:26)Plaguester Wrote: Your "aplay -L" output indicates that you have two "hdmi" plugs. Try testing the default one with:

Code:

Also, just for good measure, make sure your user is a member of the "audio" group:

Code:
$ groups <user>

If "audio" isn't listed, let us know.
Code:
i cant hear anything

Audio is listed
(2012-05-09, 18:57)EvilMordor Wrote:
(2012-05-08, 23:28)drivesoslow Wrote: try setting it as defaults.pcm.device 7 since your hdmi device is not 0 like mine. Also make sure you reboot after each change.

You may also try:

defaults.pcm.device 3

Once you had menu sound working did you make sure AC3 and DTS passthrough were disabled?
(2012-05-09, 19:46)drivesoslow Wrote:
(2012-05-09, 18:57)EvilMordor Wrote:

You may also try:

defaults.pcm.device 3

Once you had menu sound working did you make sure AC3 and DTS passthrough were disabled?

Forgot that Angel i have some sound (no voices dd5.1) now but not all sounds and xbmc is very unstable now when i switch movies xbmc restarts.
Do you have have any of the video syncing options enabled? If so disable them.

Also what is you "Audio Output" set on, Analog or HDMI?

2.0 audio works fine 5.1 no voices andido have menu sound (that i should not have i think)

http://postimage.org/image/f06qbggix/
http://postimage.org/image/oem4jz9bx/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no audio on hdmi in xbmc0