HD playback problems
Having problems playing back 1080p content, there are a large amount of frames being dropped, leading to choppy looking video. Audio however is fine.
Played around with the sync settings, etc. but nothing made a difference. I also noticed that 720p content was dropping frames every now and again (around 20-30 over 40min).

Last night I switched off VDPAU and performance actually improves. 1080p content still doesn't play correctly, however it now plays smoothly until it starts to buffer which happens at least every few min. 720p has stopped dropping frames completely.
Shouldn't hardware acceleration improve the playback? I've probably got something set up incorrectly but I'm at a loss for where to start looking.

My set up is as follows:-

OS - XBMCbuntu
CPU - Athlon 64 X2 4200+
RAM - 2Gb
MB - ASUS M3N78-EMH HDMI with built in GeForce 8200 chipset

Any ideas?
Right I've updated the BIOS on the MB which allow me to allocate more memory to the GPU but that made no difference.

I've also tried updating the Nvidia drivers but also without any luck.

Running out of ideas now, short of shoving windows on the machine and seeing if that version of XBMC does any better.
Is your content local, or are you streaming from a server?

If it is from a server, what are the ethernet speeds on the srever, HTPC, and router? 10/100? or GigE? Make sure there isn't a bottleneck...
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
Streaming but it's over gigabit so that shouldn't be a problem.
There is a setting that you can create in the advancedsettings.xml that will increase the read ahead and buffer more into memory. Might just do the trick.

If you haven't already, create the file advancedsettings.xml Follow this wiki entry to make sure you put it in the right place.

In the file enter the following lines of code.

Code:
<cachemembuffersize>53687091</cachemembuffersize>

That will buffer 50MB of data.

Hopefully this helps... it has helped several people before.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
I'll give that a go

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD playback problems0