Win Multiple Monitor help
Hello, first post. I have been working with XBMC and read thru this forum a lot to help get things set up including the remote app. However, I cannot find a solution to my issue. I am just using XBMC to play movies for my kids in our movie room in the basement and have the HTPC running my Insteon software that I can access via VNC.
Here is my set-up:
XMBC: Eden 11.0
HTPC: Dell Vostro slim 200 HTPC with W7 SP1, core 2 duo 1.6, 3G recognized ram. Placed in large utility room behind the TV.
Video Card: ASUS 6570 slim 1G ( just replaced the 4350 which looked ok) with catalyst drivers.
Media: mostly iso files and a few MP4s stored on WDTV live hub, 1TB, streamed by wired network from playroom upstairs.
Display #2 set as primary: Dell 1704 set at 1280x1024, maximum resolution connected via DVI.
Display #1 set as secondary: old zenith (LG) 50" plasma, 720P with catalyst and XBMC set at 1366x768 connected via HDMI.

When the computer boots, XMBC launches from the windows startup folder and is set to go to monitor 2 in XBMC. However XBMC appears to be minimized. It shows on the task bar on the Dell but the zenith just shows the windows background. When I click on XBMC it then goes full screen on the zenith. If I then click on the dell screen, XBMC again appears to minimize. I do get a windows color message, that it is changing to basic. I am not sure why I am seing this behavior since XBMC should remain maximized on the Zenith. Any help would be appreciated. I have to work all weekend so I may not get to reply for a few days.
Thank you,
E

Edit: apparently this is a windows problem, I found this explanation. I'll have to try XBMC in window mode:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...300AABMGMG
"I believe I have figure out what the issue may be. I think that what is happening is that even though we move applications to our second display, Windows still recognizes them as belonging to our primary desktop. This is due to the fact that our display configuration has to be set to "extended desktop". Ultimately, Windows says "These applications are running on the primary desktop" because our secondary display is being considered as an extension to our primary desktop.

So, what happens is that when we are in a full screen mode, and click on our secondary display, Windows views this as clicking on an application running on the same desktop as our full screen application and reacts by minimizing it. This is also the reason why running applications in windowed mode, be they maximized or any size, and clicking on the secondary display DOESN'T minimize our application. I chalk this up to the coding of how Windows responds to applications running in "Full Screen" mode and how Windows responds to applications running in "Windowed/Maximized" mode. Windows says "I have this "Full Screen" application running but now I need to handle this other application..." and minimizes"
Kodi On HTPC: Dell Vostro slim 200 with W7 SP1, core 2 duo 1.6, 3G RAM, ASUS 6570 slim 1G with catalyst drivers. Synology NAS.
Duplicate displays: Dell 22" led monitor and Epson 5010 projector.
Kodi on Amazon fire stick.
Yes, all you should have to do is choose the "Windowed" Full Screen mode, and it should fix your problem.
Windowed works fine except for the windows bar at the top of the screen. I my have to go back to full screen and start XBMC with a delay in case the HTPC reboots.
Thanks,
E
Kodi On HTPC: Dell Vostro slim 200 with W7 SP1, core 2 duo 1.6, 3G RAM, ASUS 6570 slim 1G with catalyst drivers. Synology NAS.
Follow-up help needed. I am still running XBMC in windowed mode. I have it set to launch when the PC boots with a 10 sec delay. Is there a way to set it to launch and maximize on the secondary display. Do I need another program such as multimon or ultramon for this.
Thanks,
E
Follow-up to my follow-up. I added XBMC launcher which so far is working. This program can put XBMC back in focus and restores the full screen on my TV. However, I still have not found a solution to the problem of XBMC going full screen on the primary monitor. XBMC is set for full screen on display 2. I unplugged the HDMI cable that runs from the HTPC to the TV and XBMC went to the primary monitor. When the HTPC is connected to my receiver and the receiver is off, the HTPC does not see a second display and XBMC is sent to the primary display. If I just leave the HTPC connected to the TV directly, the HTPC always sees the display, even when the TV is off.
So, is there some way to automate this. If XBMC is running in full screen, but on the primary monitor, and then a second display is connected, that XBMC will be sent to that display in full screen. This is important because I want to buy a new receiver and hook the HTPC up to it. Maybe a projector as well.
Thanks,
E

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple Monitor help0