XBMCbuntu Vs Openelec
Just thought i'd throw this into the mix.I'm using xbmc live atm. Have tried XBMCbuntu but the crashes at this moment are frequent.(have installed fresh 5 times now so have rolled back to dharma). My question is would openelec be better for me (using smb shares on windows machine),Asrock mobo NVidia G210 graphics card.Will I be able to run the latest skins (primarily aeon nox)?? Any help or links would be helpful.Huh
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
They just released openelec 2.0 beta... which includes Eden. Before that they had some pre-beta eden beta images out there. Not sure how well they worked compared to XBMCs official Ubuntu based distro.

I tried openelec when it was based on Dharma. It seemed more like a patch to the aging Dharma, fixing some hardware specific bugs (HDMI sound, but I still had to mess with mine), adding some windows network config stuff. I did run into issues with specialty image downloads in most skins (clearart etc). At the time it was much easier to setup, many fewer tweaks to get video/audio to work.

The good thing about the linux versions is that it is pretty easy to nuke and reload your box so you can try one for a few days, then the other.

If I were to guess... openelec will be very similar to Eden until fixes/workarounds for the official eden bugs get worked out, then openelec can integrate the fixes into an easier setup.

At this time, I have a Dharma Live box, updated to Eden (noticed more lock ups playing video etc). I hope to get around to loading the full Ubuntu version, though from what I read it may not be an improvement.
Until the kinks are worked out, I would stick with the Dharma version as upgraded to Eden and noticed the video playback bug - before it was perfect even with 1080p BR. I tested the Live Eden using XBMCbuntu and though it is slick, it had the same issue. I thought it was hardware until I searched these forums....
What chinks and quirks is it you are talking about?
And what motherboard? Try the generic image.
Samsung ES7005 55" led tv - Denon AVR-3313 - NAD C275BEE - B&W DM683 - B&W HTM61 - B&W 686
Intel NUC D34010WYK - 128GB Crucial ssd, Built in IR Receiver
And a Logitech Harmony Touch to control it all. https://libreelec.tv
Retired: Asus EB1501P ION2 - OCZ Vertex 2 64gb ssd - Built in IR Receiver
Hey phreak

Nothing specifically about openelec... we were just commenting on eden. Mine are even more anecdotal because I am using dharma live upgraded to eden beta 2 and not the official release, thus why I haven't really started posts etc.

Though also commenting about other posts where people are having stability problems with linux eden (nothing openelec specific but assumptions that they MIGHT carry over)

EDIT: I do want to stress, installation and setup of openelec dharma version was very easy and for a vast majority of functions worked very well. The only issue I ever had was with downloading extra art like clearart. I suspect the new eden version will be the same ease of installation and quality functionality.
(2012-05-01, 17:50)dandirk Wrote: The only issue I ever had was with downloading extra art like clearart.

That works just fine with the Artwork Downloader Add-on.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...Downloader
Samsung ES7005 55" led tv - Denon AVR-3313 - NAD C275BEE - B&W DM683 - B&W HTM61 - B&W 686
Intel NUC D34010WYK - 128GB Crucial ssd, Built in IR Receiver
And a Logitech Harmony Touch to control it all. https://libreelec.tv
Retired: Asus EB1501P ION2 - OCZ Vertex 2 64gb ssd - Built in IR Receiver

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Vs Openelec0