Recursive Scanning for TV Shows
I was rescanning my media files after updating to the latest nightlies due to the DXVA bug in the stable (blocking, webdl issues etc.). Anyway, on scanning realised that you can easily add a folder with tons of sub folders that have movies in but you cannot do the same for TV Shows.

For example I have mine setup with symbolic links so that all my hard-drives appear as different folders e.g. Movies contains subfolders 1 through 8 as they span across 8 drives.

TV shows contain subfolders 1-3 as they span across 3 drives. But with XBMC I can only add the TV Shows if I manually add each subfolder rather than just the root TV folder. Is there anyway you can just make the TV Scraper behave like the Movie one, with recursion?
RXP91 Wrote:Is there anyway you can just make the TV Scraper behave like the Movie one, with recursion?
I believe I read somewhere that "TV Shows" does not have the "scan recursively" check-box because TV Shows automatically scans recursive by design.

I am not sure about the rest of your post though... perhaps your issue lies there?
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
It works like that when you add a direct folder, but when you add symbolic links it doesn't scan any shows at all Sad
How does XBMC know when it should start taking folders as shows?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

But you specify that they're TV Shows as opposed to Movies in the scraper settings.
what jmarshall is meaning is this.

If there are TV Show setups like so
Quote:E:\My Videos\TV Shows\DC Universe\Batman- The Animated Series
E:\My Videos\TV Shows\Marvel Universe\Spiderman- The Animated Series
How Would the scraper know the that it needs to stop scanning at Batman-The Animated Series, and not Batman-The Animated Series\Season 1?

See that's the difference, scrapers are dumb, they cannot tell Series Level from Season Level.

Movie Scrapers are easier to program, because usually there are only 1-2 files per movie, and and recursive can scan on a per file basis omitting Part 2 files because of naming.
Ah I see what you mean.

How come things like Oversight a jukebox on the Popcorn Hours can support this? Maybe XBMC can borrow some of the ideas? With Oversight I literally just point it to a directory and it figures out all the TV Shows and Movies without me having to say which is which and scans all recursively. It also picks up on shows that XBMC rarely does due to them being named funny such as currently seeding torrents which I can't rename.
Because they very likely makes a whole bunch of assumptions which are different than the assumptions that we make.

eg the main alternative to the way XBMC operates is starting at the files and attempting to get the show name from that (bumping up the filesystem hierarchy as you go to try and find the show name if it's not in the file). This can have some success (and indeed, can pick up cases that XBMC doesn't support) but can also generate bad matches as well. The same technique can be used to auto-detect an episode from a movie, ofcourse these have the same problems at generating bad matches.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

It could be doing that, but I have a few torrents that are not in subfolders but in the root and it picks them up. I'm sure it's just reading the *.nfo and following the imdb or tvrage link within. I think XBMC does this for movies.

On an unrelated note, just upgraded to the nighties and omg it's so quick and snappy on my Revo now (interface).
I have the exact same problem. I have for both movies and series a folder, containing a symbolic link collection, to movie/series folders on several disks.

the idea being, if I add a new disk to my system, I just symlink the new movies and series locations to their respective movies and series folders and the library can pick up the new content with the next update.

For movies this works just as expected, one folder to scan them all. I really wonder why this won't work for series.

I myself have never been a huge fan of season folders and always disable those options in sickbeard and such. That makes the deepest level folder the end point, containing the files.But even if there was a season folder, those are aways similarly named. That means the name of the series is either the foldername at the deepest level, or one level up.

Especially with growing media collections that span several disks, recursive scans are crucial.
This thread has nothing to do with whether or not you have season folders, nor does XBMC care.

XBMC cares about two things only: 1. The user MUST tell XBMC whether the tvshows lie at the level below where they set content, OR at the level at which they set content. 2. Episode paths must match the regexps that the user specifies (or the default regexps). What happens between the show level and the episodes is completely ignored unless regexps are trained to pick up information there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recursive Scanning for TV Shows0