Synology Diskstation 1511+ review
Thanks for the review. I was so close to purchasing a QNAP, I was looking at the 4 bay TS-419PII or the 8-Bay TS-869. I'm thankful for this review because the DSM GUI looks elegant and a joy to use unlike the one for QNAP. Plus I heard the cheaper 3TB Seagate drives are having major problems with QNAP. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the Synology 1511+ or the 1812+ and use it as an XBMC/File/Time Machine Backup Server.

So are you guys with the Synology setting it up as NFS, AFP or SMB to stream to your XBMC clients? Which one works the best?
Yeah I couldn't be happier with my Diskstation. 0 problems and DSM is awesome. I use smb in my lr and nfs in my bedroom. I just have no idea which is better.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I like my DSM 211J but I am now out of space so I decided to just put money into a Storage solution using unraid. It's cheaper than buying a whole new 4 bay Synology
(2012-05-21, 16:08)turbinez Wrote: Thanks for the review. I was so close to purchasing a QNAP, I was looking at the 4 bay TS-419PII or the 8-Bay TS-869. I'm thankful for this review because the DSM GUI looks elegant and a joy to use unlike the one for QNAP. Plus I heard the cheaper 3TB Seagate drives are having major problems with QNAP. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the Synology 1511+ or the 1812+ and use it as an XBMC/File/Time Machine Backup Server.

So are you guys with the Synology setting it up as NFS, AFP or SMB to stream to your XBMC clients? Which one works the best?

I'm using SMB. I haven't tried NFS or AFP though.

The only notable issue I noticed with SMB was one time when I was trying to add my server folders I could only access it with typing in the ip address. Whenever I tried stream from that share it buffered a lot. Once I realized what I did wrong and changed back to sharing from the workgroup I had no more issues.

I hope I didn't make that too confusing. Hah

I use SMB for its versatility and easy setup. It's more than enough for 1080p streaming.
I had a DS411slim, but loved it so much.
Then upgraded to a RackStation RS810+ with a RX410 expansion unit.

Works so good. Absolutely love it.
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology Diskstation 1511+ review1