Best Platform
Exclamation 
I'm planning to install XBMC on a VirtualBox for starters and eventually set up a machine for the sole purpose of XBMC. With that in mind, I don't have a preference on which operating system to install XBMC.

Are there any significant differences between the different platform versions and do any of them stand out above the rest for a dedicated installation.
I would argue that whatever OS you are most comfortable with is likely the best suited to you.

All the versions are fairly identical. There are subtle nuances like Windows has Silverlight that will allow you to use the XBMCflix add-on to log into and watch Netflix movies. OpenELEC (based on linux) is the fastest booting the the OSes. If you have an Apple TV lying around, that is likely your smallest form factor.

Ultimately, though, it likely will boil down to what you can use most easily.

I started with XBMC for Linux, realized I don't know crap about Linux, and switched to Windows... I would argue that many of the users on these forums have changed their setups like they chnage underwear - maybe even more often!

XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
Thanks Tap. I tried installing it in xp/xp virtual box but couldn't get it to boot. After some research, I believe it has something to do with video drivers and hardware acceleration. I ended up just installing it on xp rather than in the vbox and all is well. I'll probably do like many people and try the other platforms eventually when I get bored but ultimately I'll chose one for a dedicated box.

On that note, I hadn't even heard of OpenELEC. That may be what I'm looking for in a dedicated box. So if I understand correctly, OpenELEC is an OS and XBMC in one installer? That would be perfect, perhaps with the exception of being able to play NetFlix. What about HuluPlus & YouTube? Are there any issues with watching these on a Linux box without Silverlight? I can live without NetFlix but not without Hulu & YouTube.
I have never been able to get OpenELEC to run well on my system, I get the feeling it is somewhat hardware specific. That said, I never really gave it hell; I probably could have done more to make it work. Moral of the story, do you homework in the OpenELEC forum to make sure the dedicated box that you buy/build is a proven winner with OpenELEC before you jump in with both feet.

YouTube and Hulu definitely do work on the Linux systems.
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
I had seven year old hardware spare, and wanted to get the best performance out of it, so I went Ubuntu (Yeah I know) but I didn't know crap about Linux one the reasons why I went Ubuntu.
I was very pleased with it, and having an OS I don't really know much about running the show keeps me off the OS.

I'm pretty hardcore Windows, I got Ubuntu running XBMC nice, fast and responsive and doing everything I need, then I left it be.. If it was a Windows install of XBMC I may fiddle with the OS every so often, ask it to do something else that I wasn't planing etc.

The theory is, if I don't know how to "Fiddle" with the back end of the system running XBMC I will not fiddle with it. It's a valid reason to use an OS you're not comfortable with and just work out the issues you have on a 1-1 bases, then you're almost always compelled to NOT touch what is not broke.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Platform0