Bit perfect audio in Linux
Hi all

I have search day and night for weeks to try and find the "perfect" ALSA settup to support the following:

1. HD sound like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD output to correct speaker for 7.1 CH
2. Crossover fading between tracks for my 2 CH music
3. DTS 5.1 CH music
4. Navigating sound

I managed to get 1, 3 and 4 working with a remap of HDMI output
For crossover working Dolby TrueHD was totaly silent and only static noise for DTS 5.1 CD

What I want is all surround > 2 CH to go strait to sound card untuched (like ASIO for WIN) and if I want crossover working for only 2 CH audio, mix two 2 CH streams together.

Can someone please tell me if this is possible with ALSA or not
Are some of the ALSA output better or worse for output of bit perfect audio. Right now I only see DTS identified correctly on the AMP
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Acer Aspire 3600, NVidia ION
Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (Now running stable without any freeze)
I'm assuming you're using the AudioEngine builds?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-02, 23:54)DDDamian Wrote: I'm assuming you're using the AudioEngine builds?

I'm a novice here please explain what AudioEngine is (I think I was reading a frase about working on something for Linux, maybe this is it?)
If it can to what I want I'm all for it, please fill me inn.Big Grin
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Found the link, this is my uname -a, (rest is in the signature) can I join the party?

Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 08:43:52 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Here's a thread discussing the Linux implementation, and the first post has links to the main thread (it's quite large). Read up a bit, it will do all you requested.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Does AE support crossfading of audio tracks? I think that's pretty much an impossibility with ALSA based audio under XBMC.
AE does. and we have supported that since, uhm, 2008?
Didn't know, that's why I asked.

Last time I tried cross-fading with an out of the box install under Linux, I got the infamous "Unable to initialize audio device" error. I stopped trying after I was told it was a problem with ALSA and not being able to have more than one active stream or device at a given time.
AE blends the streams itself, so the device still sees one stream.
Okay, cool. I'll wait until the AE build matures some and try it out. I'm currently using my i3's IGP for output with VAAPI helping. I have a GT210 that I can put in the HTPC. Not sure which route I want to follow long term.
Manage to start xbmc-ae, sort-of

But having problem with nvidia driver. aplay return no soundcard and have to use sudo xinit to start xbmc

Have open another thread with the problem http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130709
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bit perfect audio in Linux0