Home theater controlled by htpc
I have been playing with htpc for a couple years now and have never run across the ability to get the output of a device like a cable box or video game system into an input to a computer that would then select the source and display it on a monitor or tv.

I know that you can install a tv tuner with a tv tuner card and get most of the advanced cable programing. I say most because on demand and ppv generally don't work without your providers cable box. You can also add a DVD drive to the computer and eliminate that, but things like an Xbox can not be added to a computer. Unless you emulate which is not really an option for new devices.

So my question is "Is there a device that can get the signal from hdmi/component divice and pass it to a computer?"

This would basically allow you to never (change tv or amp inputs/fool with remotes/turn nobs/get up from couch) just simply use the computer to do whatever you wanted like pip and things a tv would do but fully controlled by a pc.

This would truly make a htpc in my opinion.
With this you could create software that would control the whole media experience. Things like pip the news while watching a movie, record you getting hundreds of kills in call of duty... You know all the things you should be able to do with a htpc.

The only problem I see is there may be a delay while gaming.
Neat idea - makes the HTPC rather than the receiver the heart of the system as far as routing devices. Nothing out there that I know of....yet.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Yea you basically have it. But it would allow you to code anything you want. As long as your CPU/GPU can keep up. I would love to be able to add this one tool to my htpc.
Sort of like the Google TV where it could take an HDMI signal and overlay a GUI - but more powerful with something like CEC control for other devices.
You can get HDMI input/capture cards, they're just ridiculously expensive. A few minutes seraching turned up a 4 port HDMI capture card for $300, but I'm not sure about it's functionality in terms of doing different things with each stream simultanously.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home theater controlled by htpc0