[LIVE] Cheapest hardware for XBMC Live
That is great info about the Shuttle XS35GT V2 thanks I think that is the way I will go just need to find a cheapish SSD and then order the XS35GT V2 and some memory
I just yesterday bumped into the info that Xtreamer Ultra can run OpenELEC, which could be another alternative. Pro is that it ships with a remote (and thus with a built in remote controller, as opposite to having to source a USB IR receiver for the Shuttle), con that you would be locked into using OpenELEC. Might be that it can run Live too, didn't get that far.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Well I am happy to report that I have my Shuttle XS35GT v2 all up and running with XBMC Live and the XBOX 1 remote and dongle works a treat.

I ended up getting a Patriot 32GB TORQX-2 and 4GB of ram.

I started with openelec but that would not support my old remote and dongle so I then installed live and after a small amount of config it was all up and running very nicely.

Thanks every one for the info and suggestions.

I think this is the best solution for me by far I love it.
Great to hear and nice of you to post back and report how it all ended up.

I hope you will stay as happy with the setup as I am Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
(2012-03-04, 05:11)nobody_here Wrote: I just got through setting up mine, a Level 6 grade machine. If you own a copy of Windows 7 and a 2.5" hard drive, you can have a full fledged HTPC with tons of other uses to boot.

Foxconn NT-A3500 Barebones Nettop $180

Corsair 4Gb DDR3 memory $21

then simply put my 250Gb 2.5" hard drive in it and loaded Windows 7 x64 Ult and it does everything. They say it won't do 3D and limited gaming, of which I do neither outside of Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, etc....which it does easily.

The nice thing is this guy is as small or smaller than most wireless routers today. It comes with a VESA bracket and screws that allows you to mount it squarely to the back of the TV so it is completely out of sight and silent. To me the $50 premium price over the other Foxconn E-350 systems that are like small pc's was worth it. I don't need a optical disc drive as all my media is on a NAS on the network.

I initially put Openelec on it but it has some issues that you don't get when you load Windows first and just run XBMC on top of Windows, so I reinstalled that way

I really hate it that newegg is only ships in the US Sad
(2012-03-04, 05:11)nobody_here Wrote: I initially put Openelec on it but it has some issues that you don't get when you load Windows first and just run XBMC on top of Windows, so I reinstalled that way

what sort of "issues"? I've been contemplating that exact machine and trying to decide if I want to pay for another copy of win7 or just run openelec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Cheapest hardware for XBMC Live0