Linux Which version of ffmpeg for XBMCBuntu
I want to use as much of my little ION system's computing cycles as possible, so I want to get a multi-threaded ffmpeg installed and have XBMC use that. What version of ffmpeg is supported with eden? I am building from source...
Even with updated ffmpeg we don't support multi-threaded ffmpeg for hw acceleration. But I have redesigned vdpau which results in a huge performance increase. Not yet integrated in master but the process is started.
Oh nice! I'm used to my little Revo being able to handle ANYTHING I throw at it, but H264 720P or 1080p with 10-bit is causing it to choke...

What's the ETA on that VDPAU change? Smile

PS: Thanks a TON for all the hard work of the XBMC team. This software has changed my life since I first installed it in 2008 on my hardmodded xbox1!
(2012-05-03, 18:58)FernetMenta Wrote: Even with updated ffmpeg we don't support multi-threaded ffmpeg for hw acceleration. But I have redesigned vdpau which results in a huge performance increase. Not yet integrated in master but the process is started.

Pull request seems a bit stuck in limbo for a while now... Are you re factoring maybe?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I need to do some refactoring and split up some commits on this PR but I am busy with another PR.
as an aside - I understand conceptually why you would focus on GPU processing, but why the decision not to support fully multithreaded decoding? That's circuitry which could be used to do work but isn't. There are some people using this software with 4- and 8-core systems, and irrespective of what GPU you have, it seems a waste to only be using 25% or 12.5% of your CPU hardware rather than distributing that load across N or N-1 cores. No?
Don't get me wrong, I did not say that the focus is only on hw acceleration. What I wanted to say is that multi-threaded decoding makes our hw decoders fail. That's why this option is currently disabled.
well that's not good, LOL! Is there a ticket on that?
FernetMenta if I were to clone YOUR git repo would I be able to test out the update VDPAU code or are you not really done with the improvements yet?
Try my master branch, it has all the vdpau changes included. It's a bit behind mainline but it's the version I use myself.
Code:
git clone git://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc.git

Will get me your mainline, yes?
in answer to my own question: yes, it will. Smile

Although 1080p h264 Hi10p files are still stuttering badly using your build on my revo 3700...
I think Hi10p does not make use of vdpau.
Ugh this is such a nightmare. Multicore FFMPEG doesn't work with XBMC, Hi10p profile doesn't take advantage of VDPAU, every uPNP solution I've tried that does transcoding doesn't support embedded subtitles. Grrrrrrr, is it time to actually upgrade my hardware? Sad
well if this thread comes up in someone's search in the future, I have official word from NVIDIA that they have no future plans to support Hi10P decoding in hardware, on any platform. So that's the end of that Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which version of ffmpeg for XBMCBuntu0