Picture Quality
I'm transitioning from MediaBrowser which offered you a variety of ways to calibrate your video playback quality. This was a separate deal from the graphics card and usually involved a third-party codec and software. I have not been able to find advanced picture quality settings on XBMC. I see a number of picture quality issues, especially in the way it handles blacks, and the contrast-brightness settings seem like a bandaid way to fix this. Are there ways to fix this within XBMC? If I use an external player will I still have the same inPlay functionality (subtitle control, rewinds, etc)? I've heard many people suggest to change video card settings, but I'm happy with the picture for the rest of my computer. I tend to set my video playback quality much different.
What do you have for OS, hardware, etc.?

Keep in mind that if you prefer VLC or MPC for showing video, you can make XBMC use an external player by default, and just use XBMC for the library management.
Using Windows 7, ATi 2600, Intel E6550. Getting ready to upgrade to i5 chip and new motherboard.

Will using an external player still allow me to use on-the-fly subtitle switching?
(2012-05-03, 11:28)james_stewart Wrote: Using Windows 7, ATi 2600, Intel E6550. Getting ready to upgrade to i5 chip and new motherboard.

Will using an external player still allow me to use on-the-fly subtitle switching?
That will depend on the player you use and how you configure it.
I also use a AMD/ATI GPU, and I read that disabling all setting other than "Force Video Smoothing" in the Video section of the CCC (Catalyst Control Centre) Helps quality, which it did, in my case.

In my XBMC settings, at Settings - Videos - Playback, I have all boxes (well, circles) ticked. Of course proper display calibration helps, too. If you huse a television for your display, changing the input 'type' (not teh actual connection) can heolp picture quality. Abnd I'd suggest a calibration program like AVS HD, which can be found here:. It's a small-ish download that unpacks toa full DVD-rR, and works pretty well.

As for external player switch subtitle on the fly, you should be able to set a Subs hotkey in VLC or MPC-HC to a command that your HTPC inputg device sends (be it remote, wireless kb, etc.)

Most people prefer VLC< but I think teh combo of MPC-HC + MadVR codec is a very nice.
argh!, I think you forgot your link to the calibration disc Wink
(2012-05-03, 17:26)argh! Wrote: I also use a AMD/ATI GPU, and I read that disabling all setting other than "Force Video Smoothing" in the Video section of the CCC (Catalyst Control Centre) Helps quality, which it did, in my case.

In my XBMC settings, at Settings - Videos - Playback, I have all boxes (well, circles) ticked. Of course proper display calibration helps, too. If you huse a television for your display, changing the input 'type' (not teh actual connection) can heolp picture quality. Abnd I'd suggest a calibration program like AVS HD, which can be found here:. It's a small-ish download that unpacks toa full DVD-rR, and works pretty well.

As for external player switch subtitle on the fly, you should be able to set a Subs hotkey in VLC or MPC-HC to a command that your HTPC inputg device sends (be it remote, wireless kb, etc.)

Most people prefer VLC< but I think teh combo of MPC-HC + MadVR codec is a very nice.

I appreciate your response. The problem with changing the CCC settings is that I've been very happy with my picture so far. It's only in XBMC that I have a problem with. I use the FFDshow decoder and settings to fine tune my video playback settings and it's great. Gives the user a ton of options. It would be nice if XBMC offered these types of options within XBMC itself.
(2012-05-03, 17:53)kricker Wrote: argh!, I think you forgot your link to the calibration disc Wink

D.oh!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture Quality0