Solved Sound disappears after inactivity
Sometimes the sound disappears after my ATV2 has been inactive for a while. That is the receiver has been turned off or been used on another input. I have to reboot the ATV2 and the sound comes back. This also have happened on my windows version of XBMC...

I use the Eden Beta 2 with Quartz skin.

Is this a known problem?
might be special to your setup / receiver. I'm switching inputs for receiver between multiple xbmc instances running on osx, ios or linux and don't have that problem - even when doing this for hours and switch back then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:might be special to your setup / receiver. I'm switching inputs for receiver between multiple xbmc instances running on osx, ios or linux and don't have that problem - even when doing this for hours and switch back then...

How can I troubleshoot this? Any ideas?
Turning off/on the receiver many times or changing back and forward between inputs doesn't bring the sound back.

I have a Yamaha RXV-1600 receiver and the video+sound goes directly to the receiver via the HDMI cable.

It doesn't happen every time, but when it happens, I have to reboot the ATV2 and then it works OK.
Anyone that can help?
The Real Skimshady
This is so much out of XBMCs scope ... no idea how i could help you sorry...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:This is so much out of XBMCs scope ... no idea how i could help you sorry...

But the XBMC needs a reboot to be able to output sound after change of focus from the receiver. It happens both on my ATV2 and on Windows. In both cases, the sound works fine in the background operating system; Windows or ATV 4.4 (iOS 5). I have verified that. But the XBMC Software loses sound output.... Until I do a restart of XBMC (not necessarily a system reboot.)

There must be something related to the XBMC going wrong.... or?
The Real Skimshady
unlikly ... windows and ios are using completly different audio frameworks - if it happens on both, then its a special to your receiver imho (this is my opinion). Beside that you are the only one reporting this behaviour. More attention would follow of course if this problem was spread all over the world Wink
Sorry...

Btw i have a yamaha avr too - as i said - i can switch inputs as much as i want and don't have this issue.

You could try updating your videocard drivers under windows or even lookout for a firmwareupdate of your receiver.
This shit is really semi-inconsistent too.... Sometimes its no problem for a while, other times it happens every time.

It might have something to do with the Logitech Harmony Remote, which I use for switching between modes and turning on and off. Should the ATV2 receive (or not receive) any particular commands when I switch away from or back to the ATV2?

I hate when I am the only one with a particular problem Wink
The Real Skimshady
When you switch the atv2 away from your receiver input it should shutdown the HDMI output i think (if you switch back it makes a new HDMI handshake which might be the problem for you - when there goes something wrong here). This is something which is handled in iOS itself and can't controlled by us.
I think maybe I solved it. Now I have configured the remote not to do anything with the ATV2 when I change mode or turn on/off. Previously, I think I sent on/off signal when I left/returned to the ATV2.

Hopefully I solved it, but time will tell. Thank you for your assistance Smile
The Real Skimshady
This happens to me as well. I have the most basic set up, just an ATV2 hooked directly to the TV via HDMI.

I believe it is an XBMC bug. It happens after being idle for a long time, and if I exit XBMC into the Apple GUI, sound returns. Then I relaunch XBMC and it's fine.

It seems to have started with beta 2. I just updated to beta 3 last night, so I'll see how that goes.
I cannot reproduce this issue.
I have the power saving settings configured to quit after 60 minutes. Not sure if this is a factor.

I've got the ATV2 hooked directly to my Sharp TV via HDMI. I am using a wireless-g connection, and most nights I am using Navi-X or Hulu via Bluecop to stream something. I set the sleep on my TV, and that's the last I touch anything until almost 24 hrs later, when I pop the TV back on and look for something to watch. It's more than likely that at the time the TV turns off, any stream I was watching would be over, and it would be sitting in a Hulu or Navi-X menu.

I'd then be browsing the menus that next night when I turned the TV back on, and notice no sound when I start streaming something, whether it be from a program within XBMC or local content. So I exit back to the Apple gui, and relaunch XBMC, at which point the sound returns.

The timing seems to correlate to when I updated from beta 1 to beta 2. I updated to beta 3 last night, but I believe I actually exited XBMC and put the ATV2 to sleep manually last night, so I don't expect the issue tonight. I will test tomorrow.
This also happens to me

I am using Eden on Ubuntu 12.04, booting directly into an XBMC desktop session
this is the ios (e.x. AppleTV2, iPhone, iPad) section - since audio is platform specific go to the linux section please...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound disappears after inactivity0