• 3(current)
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot?
(2014-07-26, 15:11)Martijn Wrote: there's also TV Shows on TMDb now Wink

Do we have a TV scraper for that yet?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-26, 22:19)nickr Wrote:
(2014-07-26, 15:11)Martijn Wrote: there's also TV Shows on TMDb now Wink

Do we have a TV scraper for that yet?

yes
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-07-26, 15:09)crash123 Wrote:
(2014-07-25, 14:40)Ned Scott Wrote: To be fair, TVDB doesn't allow other users to upload different versions of the episode thumb. This has given me crazy for a while. It's the only artwork on TVDB that is first-come-first-serve, and whoever sets it is the only person who can change it. What gets me is that people will often choose really bad images that are not descriptive of the episode, but instead just show some hot girl character in a generic pose.

If TVDB allowed voting on thumbnails like they do for posters, banners, and fanart, then it would fix a couple of problems. I'm not holding my breath though, as far as TVDB goes.
If you asked the mods in thetvdb forum they'll probably allow you to change it.

They'd get really tied of me really quickly, because there are a LOT of screen shots I'd like to see changed. Plus, what happens when the original uploader objects to the picture change?

I just can't justify spending any more time on TVDB. The philosophy there needs to change. For example, things like locking shows because they're old is silly. An old show that is no longer airing can still have a horrifically bad summary.

They require the community to make TVDB useful, but they then shut the community out too much when it comes to feedback on how the site operates. I'd rather spend my time on something else.
Another day, another episode spoiled. This is Tony Soprano getting cozy with his therapist, in case anybody's curious (and hasn't seen the show yet).

Stop ranting and get coding.

Or use a view or skin that doesn't show these shots.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-28, 09:25)nickr Wrote: Stop ranting and get coding.

Or use a view or skin that doesn't show these shots.

Why don't you get coding, and if you don't know how or don't feel like this is a worthy feature, stop responding to this thread?

It's one thing not to support an idea and another to continue to shoot it down continuously. This is a feature that needs to be in the core, not in a third-party skin, and I am doing my part in demonstrating how badly it's needed.
You obviously missed the "Stop ranting" part of his advice.

The point has been made and a discussion has been had.

Where this issue lies on each Dev's priority list is a matter for them to decide, and having the same person post example after example of the same thing is not going to change that.

100 posts from different people complaining about a problem is one thing. And that might prompt a change in priority.

100 posts from the same person is likely to prompt a change in priority in the other direction.
Stop ranting about people expressing valid points about things that need fixing in the (ahem) Features Suggestions section.

Response to your edited post: The discussion is continuing. A picture's worth a thousand words, and extra screenshots are not definitely not going to hurt it. Especially since it's been derailed and made appear as if it were a problem with a specific TV database rather than being a pretty obvious UX issue within XBMC.
I will leave this thread open trusting that the ranting will stop.

Posting screenshots every few days to "remind" us that you have an issue is not a good practice IMO. You could have started learning to code in all this time it took you to post.

Please respect the forums and respect the developers , they do this in their spare time which you are wasting with repeated posts about the same thing. Bumping your own issues is never a good idea, even if it's with a screenshot.

Without wanting this to sound as a threat, I will lock this thread if this continues . You have chosen a wrong approach to get some help on an issue that only you( and few others) see.
amet, I guess I should thank you for leaving the thread open (?), but continually hearing condescending comments of the "go learn how to code" variety is just as disrespectful, not to mention annoying. People who are not developers are perfectly capable of providing feedback on the user experience, and in fact, are often better suited to do so that folks who are bogged down in code. And surprise, many of us are professionals in our own fields, with tons of experience, so no, not everyone wants to be a programmer, but yes, you should still listen to non-programmers, especially on non-technical issues like this one.

I will not post any more screenshots, although I am frankly puzzled by the lack of support from other users, just because "do not spoil" is kind of the golden rule in movies/television or anything that has a plot.
Quote: This is a feature that needs to be in the core
I think this is the sort of view that really gets people's backs up. I have no doubt you feel strongly about this, I actually recall feeling the same as I was watching those episodes of The Sopranos (to which I am a latecomer too).

However the reality is that XBMC developers scratch their own itches. If Developer X wants feature Y he will code it. If he can't see the point he won't.

If there are hundreds of people calling for this, a dev may get more interested. Just you may not tip the scale until some developer stumbles on this thread and thinks "hell yeah", or some other dev runs out of the need for sleep/study/family time/work/life and says "yeah this is how I want to spend the next week, I'll get this right and bugger the job/family/outdoors/friends/rest".

So yeah, suggesting you "get coding" was just a shortcut to saying the above. No offence, but I suggest saying "XBMC needs this" is possibly not the best approach..

Ummm yes I support this request, even if it is only for future Sopranos newbies Smile
No need to thank me for leaving it open Smile

I think nickr summed it up nicely above. Does it bother me? maybe... Does it bother me enough to do something about it? No way. Thats just my opinion and I don't speak for the team.

Every one of your posts felt demanding and no one likes that, you have paid nothing for the software and you get no guaranteed support, although we do a lot to help/accommodate for issues and requests that are needed and seem reasonable.
Seriously, a lot of talk here.

To answer the question: this is simply a skinning issue and can be coded quite easily in the skin.

I have been thinking of implementing this for Neon in the past, as it annoyed my girlfriend at some point in the past when she was watching Masterchef and the thumbnail of a recently added episode (final) showed her the winner.

As a suggestion: check out how the skin decides whether or not to show the plot (there is a view condition that shows when the watched state is 0) and how some skins decide to show either a full or small plot (skin setting off shows full plot, skin setting on shows small plot).
You could duplicate the thumbnail object and use similar conditions to either show the full thumb or the fallback thumb.

If I happen to have time I might code this in Neon, and then you could either start using that skin or base your own modifications for your favourite skin on it. This seems quite unlikely to happen in the next months as I have little time, and skinning is on the lowest of my priorities.
Has anyone created a pull request on this yet?
Don't think so.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot? 3