• 6(current)
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot?
Any progress on this? Almost done with the Sopranos. There's been about 40 spoilers so far while I watched the series.
(2014-10-24, 03:57)Knocks Wrote: Any progress on this? Almost done with the Sopranos. There's been about 40 spoilers so far while I watched the series.

Why didn't you do as suggested and switch to a skin that provides a Watchlist on the home screen?
Hello, I'm a new XBMC user. I found this thread via google since I found no option to hide episode images. I have the same problem with some episodes from various TV Series. Can someone suggest a skin that is similar or identical to the default one but does not show the episode images?
sorry, no progress on my end. As usual it's a little more tricky code wise - at least for a guy like me
Just delete the code that pulls the thumbnails for TV episodes or substitute it with a dummy screen. The thumbnails "feature" is evil and should have never made it into XBMC in the first place. It does more harm than good (in my opinion it doesn't do any good at all).

Six seasons of Sopranos, with many episodes completely ruined, FML.
(2014-11-06, 05:40)Knocks Wrote: Just delete the code that pulls the thumbnails for TV episodes or substitute it with a dummy screen. The thumbnails "feature" is evil and should have never made it into XBMC in the first place. It does more harm than good (in my opinion it doesn't do any good at all).

Six seasons of Sopranos, with many episodes completely ruined, FML.

Oh FFS!. Why dont you go ahead and do it if you think it's so easy!

There are so many ways you could have avoided this issue, but instead you keep bitching about how it is everyone elses fault. Just use the file browser instead, you tool!

What sort of idiot are you that there is someone actually trying to help you and you crap all over his efforts?

YOU ruined Sopranos for yourself, by being too much of a moron to avoid the thumbnails.

Just piss off you know-nothing jerk.
(2014-11-06, 05:40)Knocks Wrote: Just delete the code that pulls the thumbnails for TV episodes or substitute it with a dummy screen. The thumbnails "feature" is evil and should have never made it into XBMC in the first place. It does more harm than good (in my opinion it doesn't do any good at all).
There are tons of places where thumbs are handled and who knows the sideeffects when you simply omit them. Also, you have to do special case handling and detect that the request thumb is for a TV show and not a movie poster - so a shitload of overhead involved. And who to provide a possible fallback image? Core or skins? And how to actually implement this? Which aspect ratio to use because thumbs could have different aspects? Also you can't just skip thumbnail creation and hope that there is no thumb extracted yet, because what if the setting is triggered after thumbs already got extracted?

Feel free to just delete the thumbnail code and don't have any artwork anywhere in your skins. Waiting for your PR
There is a list view in almost every skin that I've seen that doesn't show summaries or thumbnails. I'd like to see the option to hide thumbs too for convenance, but if you're worried about it right now then you can already do this.
(2014-11-06, 19:37)Ned Scott Wrote: There is a list view in almost every skin that I've seen that doesn't show summaries or thumbnails. I'd like to see the option to hide thumbs too for convenance, but if you're worried about it right now then you can already do this.

@ned Scott I honestly can't understand how I missed that option. Thanks. Funny that no one in this thread had mentioned it for two and a half years.

@Karnagious Writing a couple of scripts does not give you the right to be a gigantic asshole, call people names and insult members who have been a part of this community for over a decade.
(2014-11-07, 05:36)Knocks Wrote: @Karnagious Writing a couple of scripts does not give you the right to be a gigantic asshole, call people names and insult members who have been a part of this community for over a decade.

Scripts nothing. Your actions gave me the right.

You honestly think it is OK to ignorantly second-guess someone actually looking at the code trying to help you, and then imply that whoever came up with the idea of thumbnails was an idiot?

Why should anyone feel compelled to treat a person who does that with any civility?
(2014-11-06, 19:37)Ned Scott Wrote: There is a list view in almost every skin that I've seen that doesn't show summaries or thumbnails. I'd like to see the option to hide thumbs too for convenance, but if you're worried about it right now then you can already do this.

How does that help you with the following?

(2014-07-25, 10:53)Knocks Wrote: Image

I replaced all *-thumb.jpg with the season*-landscape. Assumed you have episodes stored in subfolders named "season0x":

Code:
#! /bin/bash -e
#

for f in */*.mp4
do
    cp -n ${f%.mp4}-thumb.jpg ${f%.mp4}-thumb-bak.jpg
    cp ${f%/*}-landscape.jpg ${f%.mp4}-thumb.jpg
done

Will also manually recover them after I watched the series (mv ${f%.mp4}-thumb-bak.jpg ${f%.mp4}-thumb.jpg).
Obviously, it doesn't help in every possible situation and with every possible skin, but it is possible to have both lists and on-screen-controls that do not show thumbnails. Unfortunately, Confluence isn't very good when it comes to being able to customize things :\
i may be a moron for having come up with the idea of thumbs in the library (i am its origin, and no i'm not claiming it was an original idea..)

but it took this moron 2 mins of coding to add this thing. you on the other hand ranted for half a year in the forum, alienating those trying to help you in the process, while offending those who gave you the program you appear to insist on using free of charge.

https://github.com/notspiff/kodi-cmake/c...49466ffe6b

and no. i won't put any effort into getting it into mainline. i don't do that no more.
@ironic_monkey - now that looks simple Smile From my attempt to fix this I remember several places that needed adjustments (I was hunting all places where the plot was hidden). Given that this change is in the VideoThumbLoader it suppose it's fixing this right from the ground up allover kodi? Will take care of backporting unless Universal is beating me Wink
very little tested but i can't think of anywhere the thumb could slip through. if there are spots it does, we have identified a bug. all thumb loading should go through that code (excluding stuff like the 'set thumb' dialog).

don't merge blindly, test it.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot? 3