ffmpeg/h264 and 10.1 -> 11.0 issues
I have been a happy camper with 10.1 on a windows XP media center PC for a long time. Recently i have started to try encoding my Tivo recordings into h.264/mkv for archival purposes - using ffmpeg on linux (because that's the only system up 24 hours and i know how to automate stuff). The results with 10.1 where dismal: The files don't really play, and i don't understand why. Other h264/mkv files, not created by myself work fine on 10.1.

Upgrading to 11.0 created annoying results: The h.264/mkv files i created where playing back "fine". Except that all playback with 11.0 takes up about three times the CPU as with 10.1, so any 720p files i play back is loosing some 10..15% of frames (frame drops), and 1080p24 doesn't really work at all - 70% frame drops. With 10.1 i seldomnly hit any frame drops at all and then only with 1080p.Applies to my own and foreign encoded files. So i went back to 10.1 for now.

Any suggestions ?

a) is this high increase in CPU load 10.1 -> 11.0 expected ? If not, what steps should i take to diagnose where it comes from ?

b) anyone having pointers to recommendations what parameters and/or programs to use to encode into h.264/mkv to create files that would be as close as possible to whatever XBMC is hopefully best tested with ?

Thanks
Others may disagree with me, but do yourself a favor and save a lot of time and stress and go with the DSplayer build with LAV filters. I've had all kinds of issues with file types using the stock dvdplayer. I tried different encodes and settings and all it gave was headaches, as soon as I went with DSplayer all of my worries were gone. With the build you have all the functionality you get from regular and there is no real noticeable differences, you get videoinfo (plot, director, etc) that you get from the skin you're using. Setup is quick and easy following the guide on post 875 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...3pid975895 of course if you really must go with stock someone may be able to help you, good luck and report your system specs and settings to save future users the hassle.
Have you tried the new alpha Frodo builds? It uses a newer version of ffmpeg.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/
thanks. Did 10.1 use DS ? Just trying to understand also why 11.0 is so amazingly slow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ffmpeg/h264 and 10.1 -> 11.0 issues0