All movies in widescreen (hate it, need help)
I recently got my buddy fo hack my apple tv1 and upon hacking this he hacked 2 other apple tv 1's one for him an one for another buddy. Me and my buddy (non hacker) both have the black bars on top and bottom when we watch movies I can't stand it pisses me of to great lengths nd my buddy too. My hacker buddy swears up and down his isn't like this. I highly doubt it. I have/had big plans for this apple tv 1 with the upgraded 1080p crystal hd card I recently purchased as well as the 2 terabyte hard drive I purchased for this. If I can find a solution to this without simply stretching the picture I will follow through with my plans. Otherwise it's going on Craigslist and I'm getting an apple tv2. Anyone/everyone please help I am lost.
Investigate the zoom modes in VideoOSD -> Video settings as a starting point.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Do you understand what aspect ratio is?

HDTV is 16:9 (or 1.78:1).
most films are shot in anamorphic widescreen which can range from 2.35:1 to 2.4:1
some films are shot in non-standard aspect ratios, usually for creative effect.
there are of course films shot in 16:9 and some in 1.85:1 which is very close
some films actually have differing aspect ratios throughout - The Dark Knight is a good example of this as some scenes were shot with the IMAX camera which is natively 1.44:1 aspect

basically any film which is not 16:9 will not fill your HDTV. if it is wider then you will get letterboxing...black bars at the top and bottom. if it is not as wide (eg watching old non-widescreen SD stuff) you will get pillarboxing...black bars on the left and right.

you can of course use the zoom function to make sure that every film fills your screen but for anything which is wider than 16:9 you will lose picture from the sides. next time you are at the cinema, take a look at the screen, and have a wonder why it's so much wider than your tv. the answer is simple - most films are shot at 2.35:1 so it would be stupid if all cinema screens were 16:9

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All movies in widescreen (hate it, need help)0