Dummy's guide to setting up an external player
I would really like to keep all of my playing within XBMC, but I can't seem get .wtv files to play consistently. I'd like to use windows media player to play JUST wtv files. Some help would be appreciated.
Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\playercorefactory.xml"

and click OK, and answer Yes when you're prompted to create a new file. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="WMV" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="PlayWTV" filetype="wtv" player="WMV"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Close Notepad and save the changes.

This file consists of one player definition, the <player name="WMV" tag, and one rule telling XBMC to use the WMV player for all files ending in ".wtv". I've just tested this on my system to check it works, but if you are using 32 bit Windows you'll need to change the <filename> tag and delete the " (x86)" i.e.

Code:
<filename>C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe</filename>

If it doesn't work a debug log will tell us why. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Now try and play a .wtv file and when it fails immediately close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.
Thank You very much! I will try this as soon as I get home.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dummy's guide to setting up an external player0