What is SVN?
I've looked through several forums and websites and I can't figure out exactly what SVN means. I found that it stands for Subversion, and is used for developing. Does this mean that it is the 'unstable' development versions of repo's? I'm not sure if the SVN repo's are the only ones that get automatic updates, or if they are just the one's that get updated because they are still being actively developed and aren't yet fully tested.

I just want the system to be as stable as possible. It's hard enough to get the family using a new system, but if it starts occasionally not working for them too...

Thanks in advance for any info you may provide!
Subversion is source code management software. An SVN build is not a release version, it may be a development (alpha/beta/release candidate etc) version or it may be a modified (separate branch) of a release version that has features or changes not in a release version. These are the "work in progress" or "draft" versions. They may not have been tested by anyone except the developer making the changes. Generally these would not be considered as reliable as a release version.
to add to your confusion we don't use SVN anymore, but GIT Wink

subversion and git are version control systems. they are what makes it possible for all these peeps to collaborate on the code. builds stamped with this generally means they are built from the latest version available in the vcs at that time.

if you want stable, stay away from anything marked SVN/GIT/nightly and stick to the point release (eden 11.0 in this case).
Informative, and quick replies without any snarky comments about my ignorance... This isn't the internet I know and love!

Thanks guys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is SVN?0