I just don't quite understand this application...
Ha ha - whoops, serves me right! Smile

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
Thankfully XBMC is open source, so if there is something we do that people don't like then they can change it. That is why there is Boxee and Plex, two forks of XBMC. People have different needs. Some don't want to mess with power options and just want it to work. That's fine. XBMC is not one-size-fits-all.

More often than not, XBMC's developers already know of various shortcomings with XBMC and are the most critical users of it. That doesn't mean these things can be instantly fixed. There are various technical and philosophical hurdles for many of these things. In-application help, for example, would be fantastic, but would be a huge undertaking. It would also need to be adaptable for all the different skins that can be installed, since a new skin can change the entire UI.

XBMC takes some tweaking and learning to really get going, and that is something we aim to improve, but posts like this don't help us at all.
(2012-05-05, 18:58)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 18:51)dynamite Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 18:37)gabbott Wrote: To be fair, you've come across that you've completely written off XBMC. If it doesn't suit you then it doesn't. But the developers do listen to constructive feedback, I've seen that many times.

Perhaps list out your expectations of a media center and we can help.

Frankly, yes I have given up on XBMC as a media player on my laptop.
In hindsight, spending several frustrating minutes searching for the volume control did it. After that it was a downhill ride all the way.

OH MY GOD. Several minutes Image
Give that guy a medal.
Do you realize that the joke is actually on you?

(2012-05-05, 18:58)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 18:38)dynamite Wrote: It's a fairly well established practice in software development and testing. See Usability Testing

So the many many many thousands of users are rocket engineers who have been using XBMC for years?
No, they are geeks who are comfortable tweaking XML files.

Honestly, if you/someone could post a screenshot of the volume control (so that volume level can be increased/decreased using the mouse) in the default skin while playing audio (like mp3), I will seriously give XBMC another shot.
(2012-05-05, 20:35)dynamite Wrote: Do you realize that the joke is actually on you?

Ofcourse because i'm the funny one here Rofl

Quote:No, they are geeks who are comfortable tweaking XML files.
Get your facts straight mister smarty pants!
95% of XBMC would have touched any XML file in their lives.

I'll take geek as a compliment from a guy like you.

Quote:Honestly, if you/someone could post a screenshot of the volume control (so that volume level can be increased/decreased using the mouse) in the default skin while playing audio (like mp3), I will seriously give XBMC another shot.

I couldn't care less after all the snarly comments you made. Perhaps some other user would take some of his valuable time to show you.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-05-05, 20:35)dynamite Wrote: Honestly, if you/someone could post a screenshot of the volume control (so that volume level can be increased/decreased using the mouse) in the default skin while playing audio (like mp3), I will seriously give XBMC another shot.

Why not make a suggestion as such:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126648
(2012-05-05, 20:35)dynamite Wrote: Honestly, if you/someone could post a screenshot of the volume control (so that volume level can be increased/decreased using the mouse) in the default skin while playing audio (like mp3), I will seriously give XBMC another shot.

The default skin does not have that option. I think XeeBo has a clickable volume bar.

I think it's been discussed before (for the default skin), but I might be thinking about the default touch-screen skin. You have to understand, the default skin and settings will always favor a set-up using a remote, not a mouse. XBMC's main aim is the 10-foot user interface (wiki). However, since XBMC's entire UI can be replaced with different skins, a mouse friendly skin is easy to switch to.
(2012-05-05, 20:41)gabbott Wrote:

Why not make a suggestion as such:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126648
I could definitely do that but before that I need to know for sure that such a volume control is not available by default.

EDIT: From a post later in this thread, it turns out that there is indeed no such volume control available by default.
@dynamite:
Take this OSD.xml file and replace it with your current on in skin.confluence\720p:
https://github.com/mad-max/xbmc/blob/0c7...deoOSD.xml
And then place these icons in your media folder:
https://github.com/mad-max/xbmc/commit/c...7d8d89b228

Comes from my attempt to code this for default skin. Discussion about it is here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/764
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
(2012-05-05, 20:44)Ned Scott Wrote:

The default skin does not have that option. I think XeeBo has a clickable volume bar.

I think it's been discussed before (for the default skin), but I might be thinking about the default touch-screen skin. You have to understand, the default skin and settings will always favor a set-up using a remote, not a mouse. XBMC's main aim is the 10-foot user interface (wiki). However, since XBMC's entire UI can be replaced with different skins, a mouse friendly skin is easy to switch to.
Thank you for that straightforward answer.
(2012-05-05, 20:41)Martijn Wrote: 95% of XBMC would have touched any XML file in their lives.

Funny guy, repeat after me: "I will review my posts before submitting them".

Now, get off my lawn!
(2012-05-05, 21:24)dynamite Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 20:41)Martijn Wrote: 95% of XBMC would have touched any XML file in their lives.

Funny guy, repeat after me: "I will review my posts before submitting them".

Now, get off my lawn!
It would be better for you, to calm down a little bit ...

I always review what i say before posting.
This is NOT your lawn to start with
(2012-05-05, 21:19)mad-max Wrote: @dynamite:
Take this OSD.xml file and replace it with your current on in skin.confluence\720p:
https://github.com/mad-max/xbmc/blob/0c7...deoOSD.xml
And then place these icons in your media folder:
https://github.com/mad-max/xbmc/commit/c...7d8d89b228

Comes from my attempt to code this for default skin. Discussion about it is here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/764
Thanks. I will give it a try.
Since I am specifically looking for volume control while playing music, I believe I should also copy the MusicOSD.xml file, right?
Also (just curious), who uses a mouse to adjust volume in any program? On a laptop, is it not simpler to just use the volume buttons provided by the manufacturer? I know some programs like VLC can modify volume separately from the system master volume, but I don't think XBMC does that (I probably wouldn't notice anyway since I just use my receiver's volume).
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
Think in Windows xbmc volume is seperate from system volume
(2012-05-05, 22:02)Plaguester Wrote: Also (just curious), who uses a mouse to adjust volume in any program? On a laptop, is it not simpler to just use the volume buttons provided by the manufacturer? I know some programs like VLC can modify volume separately from the system master volume, but I don't think XBMC does that (I probably wouldn't notice anyway since I just use my receiver's volume).
I do it all the time in VLC on a mac.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I just don't quite understand this application...0