Linux Can't Quit XBMC
Suddenly can't use the Remote and can't see the mouse. If I move the mouse it wakes the screen up but I can't see it. Is there a keyboard command to quit XBMC and get back to XBMCbuntu? I don't want to power off the PC as it is running a background conversion of NTFS to EXT4 and I don't want to risk losing data.
Press Control+Alt+F1, login, and enter the following:

Code:
ps aux | grep xbmc

Now look up the process id (the number right after the user name) and enter:

Code:
kill -9 "process id"
(without the quotations)

Go back to Ubuntu by going to Control+Alt+F8 (could be another F button)

or press S on the keyboard....
(2012-05-05, 12:51)vikjon0 Wrote: or press S on the keyboard....

Well I assumed his entire XBMC is unusable. Pressing S should work if he's still able to use it Smile
Tried Alt+F1. Screen has not changed. I was exiting a program called Swiss Army Knife in the Programs Menu.
Yes, I suppose that is the case...
S not working either.
(2012-05-05, 12:53)dave_allen77 Wrote: Tried Alt+F1. Screen has not changed. I was exiting a program called Swiss Army Knife in the Programs Menu.

Try Alt+F2, or any other F number. For the last part about my previous post about Alt+F8 go to Alt+F1 instead now we know that is where the graphical interface is working on.
Still Nothing, Tried every Alt+F combination
(2012-05-05, 13:05)dave_allen77 Wrote: Still Nothing, Tried every Alt+F combination

Is XBMC usable at all?
(2012-05-05, 13:05)dave_allen77 Wrote: Still Nothing, Tried every Alt+F combination

Sorry my brain is hurting, I meant Control+Alt+F[number]
Pressed Control+Alt+F1 Now at a login prompt. Ubuntu 11.10 dave-desktop tty1. dave-desktop login:

Tried logging in with my username but tells me login incorrect. Also tried with xbmc and get same error.
Sorry. Now have the list of running processing. Which one do I kill?
(2012-05-05, 14:33)dave_allen77 Wrote: Pressed Control+Alt+F1 Now at a login prompt. Ubuntu 11.10 dave-desktop tty1. dave-desktop login:

Tried logging in with my username but tells me login incorrect. Also tried with xbmc and get same error.
Sorry. Now have the list of running processing. Which one do I kill?

There should be no password on the xbmc login unless you changed it according to the wiki.
Thanx for your help everyone. Sorted now. Just cancelled all XBMC instances and got back to desktop.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Quit XBMC0