Win How-To connect and setup your Kinect to work with Kinemote and windows 7 64
Hello All,
I just recently had a heck of a time trying to setup the Kinect I purchased off craigslist to my windows 7 64-bit machine, and I figured I would create a guide on the different internet resources I used to achieve it. My ultimate goal is to use the Kinect in conjunction with VoxCommando, to have completely Voice and Gesture based control of XBMC, using the Kinect.

1. Why would I want to get/use a Kinect for XBMC?
See this thread basically it allows you to control XBMC with hand gestures.

2. OK, you convinced me, but what Kinect should I get?
There are two version of the Kinect, one for Xbox, and one for PC. The PC version costs more, because Microsoft is expecting that it will be purchased by developers, and wants to charge them to license their SDK but as far as I can tell, the hardware is the same. So, for the purposes of this tutorial (since I am not developing) you should be able to purchase a used xbox Kinect and have no issues.

3. I bought the Kinect how do I plug it into my computer?
In order to plug the Kinect into your computer, you need to purchase the power adapter for it as well, which converts the Kinect connector to usb, and provides the external power for the Kinect to operate.

4. You're boring me Guyonphone, how do I install this thing already?
If you are reading this it is likely that you have already purchased a Kinect and have had trouble installing it, then searched for a resolution. So the first thing you need to do, is uninstall everything you already installed related to the Kinect. This includes, the Microsoft Kinect SDK, any OpenNI binaries, NITE, Sensor Drivers, Prime Sense, etc. After you have uninstalled them, check the "C:\program files", and the "C:\program files (x86)" folders, for any remnants, and manually delete the folders, then restart your computer, we want to start with a clean slate.

5. Clean and ready for Install:
Now that we are starting off clean, go to this website:
http://kinect.dashhacks.com/kinect-guide...pc-hacking

Follow it's instructions to a "T", Download the files directly from that site.

This will help you install:
OpenNI v1.0.0.25
SensorKinect
NITE Middleware v1.3.0.18

"But Guyonphone" you say, there are newer OpenNI binaries, and middleware, surely you would want me to use those.
You are correct, and they will work for development purposes, but they will not work with kinemote.

"But Guyonphone" you say again, these files clearly say 32-bit, I thought this was a guide for 64-bit windows 7.
I can't fully explain this, other than to tell you that they work, I have tested on two win 7 64-bit machines now.

6. Reboot your computer.

7. Install the Kinect Motor Driver:
Go here and follow these Instructions:
http://entreprene.us/2011/03/03/kinect-m...tallation/

8. Install Kinemote:
All the drivers necessary to operate Kinemote have now been installed. Install Kinemote which you can download from here, after you create a forum account which is free.
http://www.kinemote.net/community/viewto...?f=12&t=24

9. Microphone installation (Not needed for Kinemote):
I do not believe that all the above will get the microphone on the Kinect working, I think for that you have to install the SDK, but if you do, it will partially destroy all the work we just did. I am still playing around with this, but, basically, you have to go back into the device manager, and manually re-install drivers, for each of the devices now listed under "Microsoft Kinect" by having windows search the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Prime Sense" Folders for drivers. I currently have everything working on my Kinect, but have not perfected the process. Ill try to update this if I feel brave enough to tackle everything all over again.

Obviously reply back here if you have any issues, and I would be glad to try and assist, but please note that I am in no way a developer, this is just a guide of what worked, out of my many trials and errors over the past three days trying to get this thing running.

Lastly, if deemed good enough, I would like to request from the mods that this be entered into the "tips and tricks" area.

Thank You
Added to the how-to/tips and tricks forum. Thanks for the guide!
I've got it up and running, but as soon as the connection between xbmc and kinemote happens, the xbmc menu starts scrolling to the right and won't stop Sad Any ideas?
If you do a "push" with your hand, so that the Kinect recognizes your movements, and then move your palm gently to the left it should fix the issue. I have to say that it's not the easiest thing to use, and user training is going to be a big part of getting it working. Im hoping that the next version of kinemote will be a little more accurate. Let me know if that helps.
That did help, thanks. Played with it for a few hours but had to disable it in the end - it's a great first step but until it's tuned as well as on the xbox I don't think it's going to be very useful. I turned to voice commands instead, with VoxCommando, and again it's a great start but it has a long way to go yet.
Hey Rumik,

I agree with your assessment of both voxcommando and Kinemote, In the end I actually don't use them currently either. I end up using my Ipad or iphone with XBMC commander, so far that has been the best input device for me. I also have Flirc which is pretty useful. I have seen TV's companies like Samsung begin to release voice and gesture based TV's, and I would really like to see both of these projects improve to a more useable state. In the meantime they are fun to play with when you have some spare time.

Thanks
Thanks for providing step by step guide to set up Kinect to work with Kinemote and windows 7 64. It will be helpful for me and I will try to connect.
anyone have this working on windows 8?
nobody?
Thanks for the information. Will try it out soon as soon as I pick up a used kinect from the local market.
thanks for the info!..hope to try this out soon..
It is mentioned here Kinect to be used with XBMC that you can use Kinect for XBOX (cheaper one) and no need to buy the one for Windows.

I am also in the same boat , looking to buy a kinect just for the XBMC control and the awe factor :-) it should bring. I am on Windows 7 32-Bit XBMC 12 Frodo running on Dell Studio Hybriid 140-g (Media Center/Player).

However I am a bit confused and skeptical about the real life performance, usage and behavior of such a setup. Can someone who is already using it with tell me the following :

1. How accurate and precise the kinect based menu scroll is. What is a normal optimal usage distance from the TV.

2. Which actions or gestures (left click, right click, scroll up down) can be performed with Kinect. I usually use menu scroll left/right/up/down/pause/movie info/library update within XBMC. The volume is controlled separately on the amplifier.

3. I am not supposed to watch a movie on XBMC in a fixed frozen position for 2 hours or more. So what about the natural body or hand movements, are they picked up as control gestures by kinect, even when there is no intention to manipulate or call the XBMC settings during menu interaction or playback.

4. I can control the XBMC settings only with Kinect (using Kinemote I guess). But my sound is coming via Yamaha home theater amplifier connected to the optical audio port of the media center. There is no volume up/down control within Windows which raises/lowers the volume passing by the SPDIF optical audio port, hence it is independent of the system audio as raw sound output stream is decoded at the amplifier level (whether Dolby or DTS). So I figure there is no way to control volume up or down on the Yamaha Amplifier, for it I would still have to use my logitech harmony 890 configured to control multiple devices in an "Activity" mode.

5. Relating to point no. 4, if I manage to output the sound from media center via HDMI (not via optical audio) , then it maybe a chance to control volume via windows audio control (even in this case the amplifier needs to be on a fixed amplification level and the raise/lower of volume is handled by Windows audio volume bar.). If it sounds possible then is there any gesture/symbol available in Kinemote to control volume.

Thanks for reading and responding, which I guess would be helpful for the community in general.
Hey

i realy would like to try that setup but the links from step 7 and 8 are not working and i can't get the kinemote programm from anywhere else. download on kinemote site isn't working eighter. are there any other options getting my XBMC controlled by the kinect sensor?
btw i'm currently using win8 ... so a solution for that would be nice Smile but if you have only something for win7 i'll try that two!

thanks guys!
(2014-01-24, 22:57)rico3386 Wrote: Hey

i realy would like to try that setup but the links from step 7 and 8 are not working and i can't get the kinemote programm from anywhere else. download on kinemote site isn't working eighter. are there any other options getting my XBMC controlled by the kinect sensor?
btw i'm currently using win8 ... so a solution for that would be nice Smile but if you have only something for win7 i'll try that two!

thanks guys!
Im wondering the same thing but using Windows 7, anyone know where to download kinemote?
I believe apple have bought kinemote hence why no download (i could be wrong) i just grab a copy from git hub but im getting unhandled exception on two different systems any ideas guys.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensorCollection' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Kinect10.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at Microsoft.Kinect.NativeMethods.NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback(NuiStatusCallback pCallback, IntPtr pUserData)
at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensorCollection..ctor()
at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensorCollection.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensorCollection..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensorCollection.get_Instance()
at Kinemote_Lite.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Kinemote Lite
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Lateral%20Flux/Kinemote%20Lite/Kinemote%20Lite.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Microsoft.Kinect
Assembly Version: 1.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.5.2.331
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Lateral%20Flux/Kinemote%20Lite/Microsoft.Kinect.DLL
Emgu.CV
Assembly Version: 2.3.0.1416
Win32 Version: 2.3.0.1416
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Lateral%20Flux/Kinemote%20Lite/Emgu.CV.DLL
Emgu.Util
Assembly Version: 2.3.0.1416
Win32 Version: 2.3.0.1416
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Lateral%20Flux/Kinemote%20Lite/Emgu.Util.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How-To connect and setup your Kinect to work with Kinemote and windows 7 641