• 1(current)
[RELEASE]Network-Manager front-end for XBMCbuntu
Brick 
My new network manager add-on is ready!

The add-on is acting as a frontend to the network-manager that comes with XBMCbuntu and Ubuntu desktop. It does the same thing as the nm-applet you see in the desktop
(or rather nm-connection-editor).

EDIT: Good news! This add-on has now been accepted into the official repository! It means that you do not have to install any zip, just go to "get-more" and browse the xbmc.org repository. You only need my repository if you want the very latest version not released to the main rep yet.

Install my repository from zip and then install the network-manager from the repository and you will automatically get new versions.
https://github.com/vikjon0/qf-xbmc-addons/downloads

in case you want to install only the add-on directly from zip (no auto updates)
https://github.com/vikjon0/script.linux.nm/downloads

If you have access to to internet the best way to install is to exit xbmc and login to the XBMCbuntu desktop and open web browser then download the repo or add-on above.
Then return to xbmc (or start it in the desktop) and go to system/add-ons/get-more/install from zip then browse to the download.
If you do not know where it is, it could be in home.
You can also install the repo zip from an USB if you do not want to leave XBMC.

The best way to have a connection at this stage is to install XBMCbuntu without a wire connected and connect to wifi during the installation.

If you have no connection and no possibility to connect a wire you have a few options.
You can put the add-on zip (not the repo yet) on a USB, install from the zip and then create a connection from within xbmc.

You can also exit xbmc and login to XBMCbuntu desktop and create a wifi connection "the normal" way. Then download the repo and install.

This is working with NM, not wicd. If you have a clean XBMCbuntu installation you should be fine.

Current limitations:
Only one wifi device
Only wifi
Only dhcp

version 0.0.3 available.
Starting to look pretty good.

WEP and unsecure added.
Monitoring of connection status added and a few other things
The add-on needed another round of clean up-
It now works correctly in a repository and it looks ok in other skins than Confluence.
I have also added functionality to add hidden networks. I.e. add on SSID.

Please download and install this repository and get the new versions automatically from now on.
You probably need to go system/add-ons/Get add-ons/QF XBMC addons and re-install. If any trouble remove the old version first.
(if you do it correctly you should get network manager 1.0.1 or higher)

in case you want to install only the add-on directly from zip
https://github.com/vikjon0/xbmc.script.l.../downloads

Please give some feed back after testing! Any wishes?

forgot the link
OK, small hick up. I found out that I have to change the id from xbmc.script.linux.nm to script.linux.nm.
It is already done and if you install from the repo now you will only see version 0.1.2 and it will have the new correct id.

0.1.1 and 0.1.2 have the same functionality but 0.1.1 will not be updated.

If you already installed yesterday, I am sorry for the trouble. You do not really have to do anything until I make a newer version.
If you contact me I will help you sort it out (well, you probably will not need any help).
Luckily you do not have to re-install the repo. When the repo is refreshed it will have a version 0.1.2 that is NOT installed. If installed you will have two network-manager. You can safely uninstall version 0.1.1 (or earlier if installed from an old zip). You will not lose any data as the add-on is only an editor (same as sudo nm-connection-editor in Ubuntu) and does not store anything.

Like I said, looking forward to feedback!

EDIT: To remove the old version: System/add-ons/enabled add-ons/program add-ons -- find version 0.1.1 or older and do context menu/add-on information/uninstall

Good news! This add-on has now been accepted into the official repository! It means that you do not have to install any zip, just go to "get-more" and browse the xbmc.org repository. You only need my repository if you want the very latest version not released to the main rep yet.
Hey, I have been attempting to get Network-Manager addon working under ArchLinux. I have the dbus daemon running and the networkmanager package installed, however every time I try to access the addon it displays an error message. Looking at the logs it says that "dbus" wasn't a correct module name or something along those lines. I also tried installing the dbus addon for XBMC to no avail.

Edit:
I'm an idiot, python-dbus needs to be installed for you to interface with dbus and I forgot to nab that when I installed dbus ><
Yes, python dbus is needed. Does it work now?
New version pushed to my own test repository.

Version 0.1.3
Check number of wifi devices on init
Access Points sorted by strength
language tag added
Error handling/messages tuned
Possibility to enable ipv6 in settings. disabled default.
Double connection when incorrect key fixed
Prompt for key if needed when connecting to existing connection
Hi just to confirm WPA is still unsupported correct? Are there plans to add it?
WPA is supported, the only encryption that is not supported is group/enterprise.
WPA, WPA2, WEP (shared) and NONE are all supported.

//J
Just pushed a new version to my own repo. Just a small addition to the start up checks. Checking that dbus & nm is availble.

With this I am pretty much finished for now unless there are any requests or suggestions.
Unless any issues comes up I will push this version to official repo in a few weeks.
first question after registering and you all might hate me for it Smile

I managed to get my hands on a macmini (recent one from 2010 or 11) and I installed network manager. I confirmed the mac has wifi as it worked when OSX was installed.
The network manager is saying that a network device is not connected. Is this mac not supported?
What is installed now? XBMCbuntu or still OSX?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE]Network-Manager front-end for XBMCbuntu3