Linux xbmc freeze full screen - how to kill process?
Hello guys

Im pretty new to linux, its been a bit of an uphill battle, but the latest is that now I have a few add-ons which are prone to crashing, and have had 3 crashes this morning so far, I have not found a way to kill xbmc and restart it, I am having to cold reboot the computer, which isnt very good for it, Im sure...

i was rescanning my music database in the background, listening to KCRW eclectic 24 (fan-friggin-tastic to have on xbmc!!!) and then browsing some photos... and then the photo slide show went onto an mp4 video clip, and it froze.

X did not stop play after it froze,
ALT TAB does nothing (it seems because xbmc is full screen)
ALT-F4 does nothing

how does one force kill XBMC from a full screen crash, is there any way to bring up the system monitor to the front of a frozen XBMC using a keyboard command?

Thanks!
Mark.
Read this Post. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130723
(2012-05-06, 13:41)dave_allen77 Wrote: Read this Post. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130723

Hi there Dave,
Thanks I will try that... a bit of a pain having to enter code to kill a process though.
Is there a keyboard command to bring up the system monitor, like CTRL-SHIFT-EXC does on windows?
Im a bit allergic to codes, also I will never remember it, so next time it happens (later today) I will have to get back to this thread on another computer... unless I print it out now, yeah, Im gonna do that Wink

I will report back in a while, tx for the tip:

Press Control+Alt+F1, login, and enter the following:

Code:
ps aux | grep xbmc

Now look up the process id (the number right after the user name) and enter:

Code:
kill -9 "process id"
(without the quotations)

Go back to Ubuntu by going to Control+Alt+F8 (could be another F button)
(2012-05-06, 13:41)dave_allen77 Wrote: Read this Post. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130723

Hello, well, as with the person in the post in the link above, CTRL-ALT-F8/anyF does not work to bring me back to ubuntu desktop, so I had to press the power button on the computer. (OUCH!)

Surely there is a command to bring up a GUI to be able to select a process to kill as in windows?

tx
Mark.
This what I have in a script. You can call it "kill_xbmc.sh". Put it in your home dir.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
for i in `ps ax | grep xbmc.bin | grep -v grep | sed 's/ *//' | sed 's/[^0-9].*//'`
do
  kill -9 $i
done
Then
Code:
chmod +x kill_xbmc.sh
Then when XBMC is stuck, CTRL+ALT+F1 to open a tty. Enter login/passwd. Run script like this
Code:
./kill_xbmc.sh
CTRL+ALT+F7 to go back to Desktop.
Works fine in Ubuntu 12.04 + XBMC Eden.
HTH
Thanks for taking that time nanouk,

So just to be clear about what you suggest, I make a file with the .sh file extension and that contains the first bit of code. (got fo figure how to do that as it says I dont have permission to do it)
Then
the second bit of code
where do I put that?
Then when xbmc is stuck I run the script... but the code is not the same as the name of the script, is that correct, or should the script running command have an underscore between kill and xbmc?
Thanks,
Mark.
(2012-05-06, 23:02)fredphoesh Wrote: Thanks for taking that time nanouk,

So just to be clear about what you suggest, I make a file with the .sh file extension and that contains the first bit of code. (got fo figure how to do that as it says I dont have permission to do it)
Well run Terminal (Applications ==> Accessories ==> Terminal). You should be in your home directory and have full permissions on your own files.
Code:
vim kill_xbmc.sh
to create and edit your script. Press i to edit, copy code and paste it in the terminal window. To save and quit, type ":wq", without the quotes.
Quote:Then
the second bit of code
where do I put that?
In your terminal window.
Quote:Then when xbmc is stuck I run the script... but the code is not the same as the name of the script, is that correct, or should the script running command have an underscore between kill and xbmc?
Run the script "kill_xbmc.sh"
Quote:Thanks,
Mark.
Welcome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc freeze full screen - how to kill process?0